none
More than 255 characters in a field? RRS feed

• Question

• We have found that by assigning resources via the "Resource Names" column, Project 2010 will allow you to exceed the 255 character limit.  This limit can also be exceeded in the predecessor and successor columns.

We are looking for a way (macro, filter, etc.) to quickly check for fields in those particular columns that have more than 255 characters in them before saving/publishing.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Daren Johnson

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:18 PM

Answers

• I cannot help with the "avoid" part but I believe the following simple custom text field formula can help with the "check" part of the issue: IIf(Len([Resource Names])>255,"Alert","")

Regards.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:46 PM

All replies

• Darenj,

The 255 character limit applies to the Name field and all extra text fields (i.e. Text1, Text2, etc.). The Notes field, the Resource Names field and the Predecessor and Successor fields have a larger limit - I don't know exactly what it is.

At best a macro could only tell you if the Name or Textn fields are at the limit. You will have no way of knowing whether a user attempted to enter a longer string because Project will automatically truncate the long string without any alert or warning message.

So what do you want to do?

John

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Ok, here is a visual of what we are trying to avoid by having a way to check for too many characters in a field before saving/publishing in Project Pro.  These shots are particular to the Resource Names column:

By hovering over the Resource Names column (or the pred/succ column), you will see "..." at the end when more than the allotted number of characters are in the field.  When you click in the field and then click off of it, you will get:

On our larger schedules (2,000+ lines), saving/publishing a schedule with too many characters in a field can take 30-60 minutes when it would take less than 5 minutes to save/publish otherwise.

Having more than the allowed characters will also throw an "Unknown Error" for every resource assigned to that particular task when that user tries to go to their "My Tasks" screen.

Thanks.

Daren Johnson

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:10 PM
  • I cannot help with the "avoid" part but I believe the following simple custom text field formula can help with the "check" part of the issue: IIf(Len([Resource Names])>255,"Alert","")

Regards.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:46 PM

Regards.

That works beautifully!  Thank you!

I added to the Filter that checks for assignments/predecessors/successors on Summary rows and it works perfectly.

Daren Johnson

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Thank you for the feedback. -- Regards.
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:30 PM