none
DNS Issue removing old DNS entries. RRS feed

• Question

• I have an increasing amount of DNS entries that do not match up with the PC name correctly.  I am running server 2008 domain with 4 Domain Controllers all acting as DNS servers.  I have scavenging enabled on the servers and the zones.  I have DHCP setup to remove DNS entry once the address is release.  This is easy enough to test and works when releasing an address and rebooting then the DNS name gets populated back.  I turned on Aging and scavenging last year and our domain has been setup for since 2009.  I still have a ton of entries with a timestamp of 2009.  When I manually run a scaveng the event log shows the following:

The DNS server has completed a scavenging cycle:

Visited Zones = 11,

Visited Nodes = 398,

Scavenged Nodes = 148,

Scavenged Records = 147.

This cycle took 0 seconds.

The next scavenging cycle is scheduled to run in 168 hours.

So it seems like scavenging is working, just not deleting the older entries.  I have few questions on this:

1.  Will it not delete items that are in DNS before I enabled scavenging?

2.   What would happen if I cleared all my dynamic DNS entries one weekend to start fresh?  They should re-populate on bootup, but what if a PC was left on, would it take a reboot?

3.  Is there any way to delete DNS entries based on time stamp?  I have tried to sort by timestamp, but it doesn't really sort by year, it is more by the month?

Thursday, September 8, 2011 5:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Sandow,

Thank you for your post.

1.  Why it not delete items that are in DNS before I enabled scavenging?
    It is caused that the DNS record ownership belong to different DHCP servers, please add DHCP servers into DnsUpdateProxy group and set dedicate account in DHCP console DNS dynamic update registration credentials. More details please refer to this thread.

2.   What would happen if I cleared all my dynamic DNS entries one weekend to start fresh?  They should re-populate on bootup, but what if a PC was left on, would it take a reboot?
    It's okay for client computers (exclude all servers) when you do it at weekend.

3.  Is there any way to delete DNS entries based on time stamp?  I have tried to sort by timestamp, but it doesn't really sort by year, it is more by the month?
    Not supported.

If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,
    Rick Tan
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:37 AM