Outlook Certificate Error RRS feed

• Question

• Some time ago, my <g class="gr_ gr_6 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="6" id="6">small town</g> ISP moved my email to a more secure server. Since that time, when I open Outlook 2016, I get a popup box that says Internet Security Warning. The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that cannot be verified. When I click the box to View Certificate, I see under the Certification Path dialog a Certificate status: This CA Root certification is not trusted because it is not in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store.

There is a wizard to install the certificate. I've done this using the location it suggests <g class="gr_ gr_200 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="200" id="200">mulitiple</g> times, but I still get this when I start Outlook.

The box pops up twice, I can click Yes at the Do you want to continue using this server? and Outlook works fine, but it pops up from time to time and is quite annoying.

Can someone tell me how to make it happy?

Thanks.

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 5:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When the name on the certificate doesn’t match the name specified in your account settings, you’ll get this warning message.

Please follow the suggestion in this article to troubleshoot your issue:

Cannot verify Security Certificate warning

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Dawnvk Wednesday, January 29, 2020 3:17 PM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2020 6:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When the name on the certificate doesn’t match the name specified in your account settings, you’ll get this warning message.

Please follow the suggestion in this article to troubleshoot your issue:

Cannot verify Security Certificate warning

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Dawnvk Wednesday, January 29, 2020 3:17 PM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2020 6:19 AM
  • I have 6 accounts coming into my Outlook... indeed one of them, though it was working, didn't match the server. Thanks for helping me narrow down my search and solve this annoying problem.
    Wednesday, January 29, 2020 3:18 PM
  • You're welcome:) 

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:57 AM