Sequencing an application takes 2 days!, any advice? RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon,
    I'm sequencing an application using the 4.5 sequencer software on a clean VM with lots of room on the Q drive.  The problem is that everything runs far more slowly than any other applications I've done.  To actually install the product only takes about 30 minutes, but when it comes time to launch the applications to set FB1, it takes over 10 minutes to load the virtual environment.  After that, when it hits step 7 of 7, sequencing the blocks, it literally takes over 36 hours to complete.  In the sequencer log, there are literally thousands of lines with identical entries, each one saying a file could not be found in the directory map.  Once the application is sequenced, it runs ok, but it still takes over 10 minutes to launch the virtual environment on the client, even when the app is cached. 

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  Any hints, tips, tricks or ideas as to what I can try?

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 5:08 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Well, could you try to place the file in the directory?

I am not saying this is the solution, but perhaps it gives you an idea how to resolve it?

/Znack

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:22 PM
  • Hi Znack,

Unfortunately, theres a line for every file in the application, all 2 gigs of them.  I did look into the VFS in the sequenced application and all of the files it's complaining about are there.  Thats whats odd, the application works, it just takes forever to sequence and load.

Any other thoughts?

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:44 PM
  • Hello,

How have you installed the application? Is it common-files that are placed in the VFS or is the entire application installed in VFS?
    It sounds like you would have a signaficant performance gain trying to place the files on the mount-point instead of VFS, but of course it has to be performed properly.

Any chance of a more in detail recipe?

/Znack
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 8:50 PM
  • Hi again Znack,
    It is a VFS install.  The install source is MSI files which have been supplied to me.  When sequencing I have followed the best-practices for a VFS install in 4.5, namely, I created an 8.3 directory on the Q drive, specified that as the install directory at the begfinning of the sequencing process, let the software install to it's preferred place on the C drive, then saved the entire project to a separate folder.  There are really no choices I can change since the MSI is prepackaged, so ti doesn't let me specify an alternate install directory.  I've done many VFS installs in the past and not had anything like this happen. 

I'd be happy to provide any more information you need, just let me know.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:29 PM
  • Hello,

Obviously it works, its just the performance that gets you.

I suppose its a custom package where you can't define properties?
    It would be really nice to see how it performs when packaged into a mount-point instead...

(and since the files are so many, well....)

Any chance to talk to the "maker" of the package? Or perhaps if he could tell you howto do it manually?

/Znack

Thursday, February 5, 2009 5:43 AM
  • Hi,
      Are you working on a Virtual PC or a VM Ware machine? If so check the RAM setting.

How big is the application? Check if it is exceeding 4 gb. If so try compressing your package.

(or) try giving INSTALLDIR="Q:\***" (am not sure if this is of any help)
    J.Caleb Kirubakaran
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Thanks for the thoughts.  I was wondering about getting them to give me a non-VFS version of the package to sequence, but for now this is all I have.  I do think that the VFS part is relevant, as outside of that, it's really just another program.  It does run, but I am expecting quite a bit of dissatisfaction with the fact that it takes over 10 minutes to run after clicking the icon. 

The package itself is just over 1.2G in size, so I haven't exceeded the maximum package size.  I am using VM's to sequence, they are XP SP2 with 1G of RAM.  I had thought about the hardware limitations, but if you sit and watch the performance counters on the VM while it's sequencing, the Ram is actually only about 75% used, but the processor is completely pegged the entire time.  I have tried VM's in two completely different environments, but they both behave the same. 

If there are any other thoughts or ideas, I'd love to hear them. 

Thanks!!

Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:02 PM
  • Could you open the MSI in orca or any packaging tool and check the file table?

Check if they have only custom actions to deliver files checking for appropriate conditions.

This is just to find out whether it is a problem with the application itself or our sequencing limitation.

J.Caleb Kirubakaran
    Friday, February 6, 2009 7:15 AM
  • I'll give that a try.  I don't have a lot of experience in MSI editing but I think I know what to look for.  I'll post back with what I find.

Thanks!!

Friday, February 6, 2009 8:35 PM