Document library and Review template and rdl files RRS feed

• Question

• I created a subsite using the "Document library and Review" application template with the aim of tracking feedback and discussion on draft documents. The feedback and discussion layouts suit my needs fine as is, except...

...I was hoping to be able to use the same site to track feedback on SSRS rdl files. We have a report server set up in integrated mode and we can publish reports elsewhere on the Sharepoint site with no problems. There does seem to be a problem with rdl files in the "Documents For Review" library created by the "Document library and Review" application template though. We can upload a .rdl file to the library OK, but once it's in that library, any actions specific to rdl files (e.g. manage data sources, open the report) result in the following error:

Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Failed to find the XML file at location '12\Template\Features\DocumentReviewDocsForReviewList\feature.xml' ---> System.Exception:

It's only the "Documents For Review" library created by the template where there's a problem; if I create a different document library in the same subsite I can upload and run reports with no problem.

Does anyone know whether the "Document library and Review" application template just won't handle rdl files at all?
    What's different about the "Documents For Review" library that prevents rdl reports from running properly there?
    Can anyone suggest what I might need to alter to make the "Document library and Review" setup usable for rdl files?

We are using sharepoint 2007.

I am a lot more familiar with the report server side of things but I'm pretty new to the Sharepoint side and am not sure where to start looking.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:35 AM

Answers

• Hi auntybart,

Thanks for your post.

The “Document library and Review” isn’t the default template for SharePoint.  Mark sure you have download the correct package from Microsoft site:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=6163

According to the error message “Failed to find the XML file at location '12\Template\Features\DocumentReviewDocsForReviewList\feature.xml'”, please check this location in the server. if the file isn’t existed, please try to deploy the solution again.

Friday, October 28, 2011 5:36 AM

All replies

• Hi auntybart,

Thanks for your post.

The “Document library and Review” isn’t the default template for SharePoint.  Mark sure you have download the correct package from Microsoft site:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=6163

According to the error message “Failed to find the XML file at location '12\Template\Features\DocumentReviewDocsForReviewList\feature.xml'”, please check this location in the server. if the file isn’t existed, please try to deploy the solution again.

Friday, October 28, 2011 5:36 AM
  • Thanks for this.

Our IT folks tell me that I shouldn't use the "Document library & review" template anyway as it will no longer work under Sharepoint 2010, which we'll migrate to eventually. Is there a replacement for later versions of Sharepoint?

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 3:41 AM