none
GPO Create a Computer Startup Script

Question

• Noticed that when create a Computer Startup Script policy, it created two different set of ID.

I.E A Computer-TST-StartupScript - Unique ID:

But when we Edit this Computer-TST-StartupScript > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts > Startup > click ADD to add a .bat script.

The startup script is stored in a different location with a different ID \\...\policies\{0BD18FO ........}

How so? is this by default that one GPO have multiple ID?

Friday, June 03, 2016 3:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,
    The unique ID in the Details tab of the GPO is known as the GPO GUID. It is the same one as the  folder for each GPO created in the domain and each identified by its GUID, the path is Sysvol\DomainName\Policies\.
    After you create the GPO, the path of the Startup folder for the GPO is as follows:
    %systemroot%\sysvol\domain\Policies\{GPO ID}\Machines\Scripts\Startup
    {GPO ID} is the unique ID for the GPO.
    I have tested in my lab environment. In your case, you could resolve the different GUID to the name of GPO and see if it is the one you have configured.  The script may be used by another GPO.Regarding to resolve a GUID to the name of a GPO, you could have a try Get-GPO –Guid command, please see details from: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee461059.aspx
    Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 03, 2016 6:53 AM
  • > Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts > Startup > click *ADD* to
    > add a .bat script.

Click "Show files" - does this open the same "wrong" folder?

Friday, June 03, 2016 10:53 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

When I resolved GPO Guild / GPO ID.

The Unique ID: {1c6bfab6-...........}

Both refer to the same GPO - both folders contain the same startup script. however, the DisplayName and UserVersion/ComputerVersion seem to be different.

-- and when open the .BAT via 'show file" > it open ...\{6cdfd32d-..........} >>> is this the "wrong" folder?

--- why DisplayName, user/computerversion are different?

Thank you

Best Regards,

Thursday, June 09, 2016 1:46 AM
  • > The Unique ID: {1c6bfab6-...........}

You are using AGPM, which introduces "working copies" of GPOs. So yes,
    with AGPM you have more than one GUID for each GPO :)

Thursday, June 09, 2016 8:00 AM