Windows 7 VERY slow browsing and creating folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!
    I'm having a rather strange problem with Windows 7 RC.  I've noticed that browsing folders is generally slower than in WinXP, but still acceptable.  But lately I'm having a lot of difficulties moving files, creating folders, renaming folders and files, and even waiting for an Explorer window to refresh after some external app has created or modified a file.  Sometimes I have to wait up to 30 seconds for a new folder to be created, and another 10 or 15 after I rename it (from "New Folder" to whatever else).

This does not happen in every folder in my HDD, but I don't know exactly in which ones.  I thought it was the indexed folders, so I removed a few from the Windows Indexing database, and they were still slow (after system reboot and all).  Then I thought it would probably happen in folders that are part of a library, so I removed them and the problem was still there.  I can't think of another reason for this to happen in some folders and not others.  It seems to happen in my frequently used folders, which honestly sucks.

Just for the record, here's my system's specs:

Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop (e1705), late 2006 model
    2GB DDR2 667 ram
    320 GB 7200 rpm seagate HDD, aftermarket (really fast drive, not the problem here)
    Intel Core Duo (Centrino Duo) 2.0GHZ
    Windows 7 RC, multiboot with WinXP

Thanks!!!
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:58 PM

Answers

• Hi again! I saw this thread was going in another direction than what I intended, so I didn't follow up. But I'm posting again just to let you guys know I found the problem, and it's NOT Win7 or Win explorer's fault... at least not directly. The thing that was causing the problem was some stupid BG process that NERO installs... god i hate Nero :S I guess the problem was some incompatibility between that useless nero program and some other windows process. So, obviously, I don't use Nero anymore. Have someone else experienced slow folder browsing when nero 8 is installed? Thanks a lot for all ur help and interest. Windows 7 rules. Bye!
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:46 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:05 PM

All replies

• Hi eoy4,

What AV software do you use?
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:15 PM
  • I don't use antivirus :P  I have very good browsing habits and all.  Trust me, I'm virus free, so that's not the problem either.  ^__^
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Does the behavior occur when you are logged in as a different user? Or when the system is booted into safe mode?
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:11 PM
  • OK, that's a good question.  I'll try that when I have time, right now i'm working, and i'll post anything i find.  Thank you! :D
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Also, the issue could be caused by an incompatibility dirver/third party software

Friday, June 19, 2009 8:51 AM
  • I randomly get a prompt that tells me when using internet explorer 7 that says internet explorer has stopped responding. It then attempts to fix the issue and ussualy does. Any idea on how to prevent it in the first place?

I am using windows 7 64bit.

It runs pretty quickly and I enjoy it, but it does act a bit rigidly sometimes. I have installed the 64bit drivers for my Motherboard chipset, video card, and ect.

My HD is a 1500 Raptor.

I also notice that when i install anything, you can not do much without it not working and have to wait for the install to take longer than normal. It completes correctly, but updating is slightly a pain. I have noticed that 64 bit applications that i install . . . do so much more smoothly.

To test hardware I put on a different hard drive that is already preinstalled for my system. It has XP pro on it, the same issue does not exist there.

I am begining to think, it has to do with the applications and drivers.

Saturday, June 20, 2009 11:51 PM
  • Hi Crosus,

Are you sure you're using Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 7 ?
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 5:23 PM
  • Doh! Fart in the brain, no it is IE 8.0.7100. Good catch.

Note: I found Bonjour was messing with mine and other peoples NIC Cards and disconnecitng them. Mainly because of its DNS crud. I first removed the registry entry, but then of course that can get weird (lack of a better word) so I uninstalled Bonjour (more liek Bye-Jour)  that i did not need anywho.

However, the browser sometimes still says IE has stopped responding and begins to find a solution for it and it works again. Happens mainly with my IE32 not my IE64.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 2:47 AM
  • Try running IE with no add-ons (iexplore.exe -extoff) for a while, and see if things improve.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 4:13 AM
  • Vegan: I wish that were the case with mine, but must be some configuration of my system. I am flirting with firm ware issues, but maybe not.

No.Compromise: I will try that now and see what happens the next couple of days.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 4:58 AM
  • Hi again! I saw this thread was going in another direction than what I intended, so I didn't follow up. But I'm posting again just to let you guys know I found the problem, and it's NOT Win7 or Win explorer's fault... at least not directly. The thing that was causing the problem was some stupid BG process that NERO installs... god i hate Nero :S I guess the problem was some incompatibility between that useless nero program and some other windows process. So, obviously, I don't use Nero anymore. Have someone else experienced slow folder browsing when nero 8 is installed? Thanks a lot for all ur help and interest. Windows 7 rules. Bye!
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:46 PM
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Perhaps Nero installs some shell extension or some such that slows things down...  Autoruns or ShellExView could be used to selectively eliminate the shell extensions and the like, to attempt to determine what components may be involved...
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:47 PM
  • Cool!! thank you! didn't know such programs existed.  I disable startup programs and processes by looking at the list of services and by manually modifying the registry on the appropriate keys, but I didn't know there was a tool to list and manipulate shell extensions.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:51 PM
  • Vegan, nah i already adjusted the power settings in a pre empitive measure. I tend to be a bit power hungry these days . . . yes yes how ungreen of me.

I deactivated my add ons. It kind of worked, but not really. However, I ran this way for a couple of days. I then reenabeled everything. I noticed updates though not in windows updates, but add ons. I think it helped as the errors are begining to decrease.

Win 7 is running good though, it reminds me of XP's smoother roll outs as opposed to it's predecessors.

Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:35 AM
  • At least one recent version of "The Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper" has been seen to cause some perf issues, mainly when opening tabs.

If iexplore.exe is crashing, there should be some entries in the event logs.  Please post some details from the events associated with the crashes.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:18 AM
  • I am having a similar problem with Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) on Windows 7 (build 7100).  Expanding a folder in the tree view (left pane) is taking forever (that is, several minutes for large directories but even a minute for one that only has a single sub-directory).  The strange thing is that double clicking the folder name in the file view (right pane) to go into it is not slow at all.  The drawing of the expanded part of the tree view is very slow the first time but subsequently it is very fast (presumably something is being cached).

I looked in Task Manager and there is very little CPU being used during the tree display drawing (maybe 3% by Explorer.exe and occasionally a few percent by DWM.EXE and MSTSC.EXE) so I assume that the slowness is I/O (disk) related.  I don't have the Java plugin installed and I have disabled all sorts of other things that might hook into Explorer like RealPlayer, wmpnetwrk.exe, ... to no avail.  Also I have disabled zip folders which avoided huge delays when opening folders which contained lots of zip files but has not fixed this slowness.  I have spent much time in the last few days trying to track down the problem.  Any help is appreciated.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 11:47 AM
  • I forgot to metnion in my post just above that the slowness goes away if I reboot.  So I don't think it is hardware or drivers.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to work out what triggers it or even if it is a gradual increase in slowness.  (It only started happening a week ago.)
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:14 PM
  • I have the same problem, browsing folders is slow (yet the rest of windows is far from) and renaming/copying files is dreadfully slow, especially when you move files and the dialouge of transfer progress doesnt come up, it's just a 25 second delay.

I don't have NERO? Is it just an RC thing?
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:14 AM
  • Hi RussellBishop,

Any chance some AV software may be contributing?  Do you notice the behavior in safe mode? When logged in as another user? Or with the AV software uninstalled?
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:15 AM
  • Hi NoCompromise,

I use AVG, my older brother (Also running AVG + Windows7rc) has no problems though.

I happened to be in safe mode earlier, but unfortunately wasn't folder-browsing. And I don't have another user.

So should I test in safe mode then?

Russell
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:25 AM
  • Sure, test in Safe Mode and see what the experience is.  You can also simply create another user account, for the purposes of testing...
    I use AVG, my older brother (Also running AVG + Windows7rc) has no problems though.
    The systems are likely a bit different, with different configurations and / or different software installed. Worth considering, at least...
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:27 AM
  • That would probably be less hassle, i'll create another account and have a play with copying files and modifying folders.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:35 AM
  • Just created another account, and the problem seemed non-existant, even with AVG running within that account also.

Any ideas what's going on?
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 11:43 AM
  • That would suggest that some software that is loading when you log in with the original account may be contributing to the behavior.  Perhaps, use a program like Sysinternals' Autoruns to see what software is loading when the original account logs in, and compare it to the software that loads when the new account logs in.  Then consider systematically eliminating the differences, to attempt to identify which software it may be.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:26 PM
  • Gosh this troubleshooting stuff's complicated! I'll give it a go.
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:57 PM
  • I thought this thread was dead, but I'm relieved that someone else had the same problem.  (Though it seems that Russell gets help but nobody wants to help me :)

For the record my problem sounds identical to Russell's as I have also noticed the problem with slow copying of files, and all other symptoms.  I am not running AVG.  The one difference in the symptoms might be that the problem does not always appear straight after reboot on my system, but I have not been able to track down what causes it to begin.  However, once it happens it continues to happen until I reboot the system.

I have done some investigation when it does occur.  It does not seem to be caused by anything external to Windows - I disabled most autorun programs and manually killed off the rest.  I also stopped any non-essential services.  After all this the problem still occurs.  I used SysInternals procmon.exe to try to work out what is happening and it seems that the time slowness is happening in explorer.exe itself, specifically the reading of all the files in a folder when you open a folder in the tree view.  This happens even when the folder only contains a small number of files and so I don't understand why reading a few files should take so long (though I don't understand what explorer.exe is opening and reading the files for when you go to a new directory).
    Monday, July 6, 2009 5:56 AM
  • Yes I tried disabling almost everything in SysInternals and still had the same problem. Not sure what to do now :S
    Monday, July 6, 2009 7:18 AM
  • Do you notice this even with an empty directory?
    Monday, July 6, 2009 9:52 AM
  • Did you compare programs that are running when you use the original account, to programs that are running when you use the new account where you don't notice the behavior?
    Monday, July 6, 2009 9:53 AM
  • Still occurs with an empty directory, renaming it leaves a good 4-5 seconds wait.

Also, the other day I was having to rename lots of images, in sets of 5, in folders. It's now quite common that if I rename a file, instead of delaying, i'm able to use the folder straight away, but the name isn't changed until a refresh. So it was now faster to rename these images, cause i'd just rename them all really quick with no delays, then refresh and see the changes.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 9:58 AM
  • The drive is a local drive?

Make an empty folder named jfjfjfjfjfjfjf. Then, close Windows Explorer.  Start Sysinternals' Process Monitor, and set a filter for Path Contains jfjfjfjfjfjfjf then Include.  Navigate to that folder.  When you reproduce the delay, stop capturing in Process Monitor and save the log to a .PML file.  ZIP the .PML file, password-protect it, and upload it somewhere.  Publicly or privately share the link to the file (may need to use a third-party filehosting service like Live SkyDrive), and privately share the password. (My email address can be found in my profile.)
    Monday, July 6, 2009 10:08 AM
  • I've never used this program before; I managed to set up a filter for just jfjfjfjf, but I don't know how to 'stop' ?
    Monday, July 6, 2009 10:24 AM
  • CTRL+E will start / stop capturing.  Also, File->Capture Events will toggle capture status.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 10:27 AM
  • In export configuration, there isn't an option for .pml, but .pmc?
    Monday, July 6, 2009 10:30 AM
  • You don't wish to export the configuration; rather, you wish to use File->Save to save the events.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 10:32 AM
  • Emailed you
    Monday, July 6, 2009 12:40 PM
  • Additional details from the stack of the events would be helpful...

Please configure symbols in Process Monitor by downloading and installing the Debugging Tools for Windows.  Go to Options->Configure symbols in Process Monitor, and set the DbgHelp.dll path to c:\program files\debugging tools for windows (x86)\dbghelp.dll (or thereabouts, depending on where you installed the Debugging Tools to).  Then, retry the exercise, preferably with a new folder (kkkkkkkkhhhhhhh, for example).  
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 3:20 AM
  • Perhaps Nero installs some shell extension or some such that slows things down...  Autoruns or ShellExView could be used to selectively eliminate the shell extensions and the like, to attempt to determine what components may be involved...

Nero installs an index program, called Scout, you just have to not check the box for scout at the bottom of one of the windows, and it will not index the computer. This adds to the overhead of the OS indexing.
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 4:14 AM
  • I am having the same issue. the only problem is that I dont have Nero installed. I installed iTunes to see how it ran on windows 7 and it happened.

I have unistalled iTunes and its still happening any help would be Kewl
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:58 AM
  • Have you uninstalled all of the other Apple software that tends to "tag along" with iTunes?
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:32 AM
  • iTunes comes with gearaspiwdm.sys.  Not saying that that specific driver is at fault, mind you, but drivers may come with software when one isn't expecting it...
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 12:38 PM
  • Right (I've personally used Gear for adding recording support to software).  Like I said - I wasn't saying that the specifically referenced driver was at fault, I was just bringing it out that in places where one may not expect there to be a driver, there may actually be one...

Anyways...
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:35 PM
  • Again, I didn't "suggest" Gear.  I made reference to a program mentioned in this thread, that included a driver, where it seems that a driver may not be expected.

And, I would take issue with the presented statistic; "bad" shell extensions certainly are a frequent cause of slow folder navigation and other filesystem activities initiated by the shell.

In the end, both items ("update drivers" and "check shell extensions and running programs") have been suggested elsewhere in this topic, and are both viable options for anyone experiencing the reported issue.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:46 PM
  • Hrmm, this is very odd. I'm having the same problem. Restarting explorer.exe (open the task manager and terminate it) seems to cure it. I'll keep investigating and keep you posted.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 8:08 PM
  • Hi waffleboi9,

Consider using Autoruns or ShellExView to manipulate shell extensions, to attempt to identify one that may be affecting explorer in the described manner.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 9:54 AM
  • I have seen the same problem, to wit: in Win7 Ultimate, RTM, 64 bit, fully updated according to Windows Updates at this moment, Explorer will take a little over a full minute to create a new directory or rename an existing one. 

It's really frustrating.

When it happens, both local drive and mounted network driveletters are affected. The problem goes away if I restart Explorer.exe via Process Explorer. The problem will come back some time later (could be as short a time as 2 hours; I am not sure but I doubt it is less than that). 

This last time it occurred, I spent a fair amount of time with Process Monitor. I looked for thread creations that didn't exit immediately (fractions of a second) and found none. I did see a fair amount of registry activity but nothing which seemed unusual, and no failures or errors. In short, after an hour of reproducing the problem over and over again and process monitoring each time, I didn't spot anything that was clearly a culprit.

I'm not finding any errors listed in the Application or System event logs.

I use MSE for malware protection. I disabled realtime protection but the problem did not abate.

I played with ShellExView but the problem here is, you must restart Explorer for your extension disablements to "take" ... and of course the issue goes away upon restarting Explorer. 

I have a fairly conservative system anyway (I don't load a lot of thirdparty stuff), below are all of the non-MS shell extensions found by ShellExView on my system:

• Bluewire General Property Sheet (no company listed) C:\Windows\system32\BWContextHandler.dll
    • Paint.NET Shell Extension (no company listed) C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\ShellExtension_x64.dll
    • CISORecorderContextMenu Alex Feinman C:\Program Files\Alex Feinman\ISO Recorder\ISORecorder.dll
    • Monitor Class (Broadcom Corporation) C:\Windows\system32\btncopy.dll
    • VirtualCloneDrive (Elaborate Bytes AG) C:\Program Files (x86)\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\ElbyVCDShell.dll
    • GraphicsShellExt Class (Intel Corporation) C:\Windows\system32\igfxpph.dll
    • Synaptics Control Panel (Synaptics, Inc.) C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPCpl.dll

I've never had Nero, or Gear, or iTunes installed on this system. IE isn't running though; I use Google's Chrome.

I have one hunch: I'm running Win7 from an SSD with the old (stuttering) JMicron controller (I have a new SSD on order). It may be complicit. But I only have low confidence in this hunch (I assume others with the same problem would have reported SSD if they had them).

I am still stumped. For now I have restarted Explorer. I'm sure the problem will come back.

Thanks for any thoughts on this annoying issue!

• Edited by Bryan Lockwood Saturday, November 28, 2009 11:41 AM note some software I DON'T run (which has been suggested as causing the issue)
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 11:33 AM
  • A quick followup: it's been 36 hours since I restarted Explorer. The problem has not recurred.  I did nothing else: no tweaks, no software or ShellEx removals, no registry edits. 

But since it has come back before I suspect it will come back again. Really wish I could nail down a reproducible trigger for this thing!
    Monday, November 30, 2009 8:09 AM
  • The problem has recurred again. Since last time I have even replaced the G.SKILL SSD with a newer one (Patriot TorqX) that supports TRIM.

Has anyone seen a solution to this issue?
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

Have the same issue, a lot of W7 internal functions are extremly slow (installed SW and also portable programs seem to work fine and fast). Drive manger takes 5-10 minutes to show the drives. The issue seems to be occuring for me on Intel Atom boards. I have same  issue on Sony P US version with 128GB SSD and also on a desktop intel board Atom with regular SATA HD. Both with W7 home released version, have also a old Athlon with PATA disk with W7 RC and have no issues with same installed S/W. The worst slowness seems to be on Sony P. Tried now to de-install each SW one by one, did not help at all. At the moment i am trying to bring Sony P back to factory status with buildt in SW tool using the recovery partition.....started today in the morning, this factory reset is still running after 10 hours..(this can be also not normal)......will see if it finishes tomorow and if this solves problem....will report back. For my knowledge, W7 shall be able to detect if a SSD is in use and changes some function to compensate for faster responsetimes of W7....does anyone know how to check if this really works? Maybe some registry entry?

//Wolfgang
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:53 AM
  • Hello, today i experienced slow creation of folders on both my local computer and our file server (windows SBS 2003). Have not experienced this before (have run windows 7 x64 since november 2009). My suspicion is iTunes and Logitech Harmony One as they are the application i have installed lately. Anyone have same experience?

Jan
    Senior consultant Exchange and infrastructur
    Friday, January 8, 2010 4:22 PM
  • I had this problem on Windows 7 x64.  It was a shell extension installed by Snagit.  It caused creating folders and delting folders to take over 1 minute.  Used ShellEx to remove it and problem resolved.

On another system (Windows 2008) upgraded from Windows 2003 this problem exists (slow folder creation)  I have literally disabled all non microsoft shell extensions and BHO's etc and still no change.  I've probably spent over 4 hrs reghacking removing stuff from autoruns etc, uninstalling apps to no avail.    Counting my losses and reinstalling 2008.

I wish there were some simple diagnostics tool available to track this stuff down, I was running ProcMon but I couldn't determine from the output anything useful.

NOTE: Creating folders in Total COmmander or DOS results in instantanous creation, therefore that leads me to think its a Explorer hook.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 12:56 AM
  • I didn't read through the entire thread so forgive me if I'm a little off track here, but I was having a problem where folders with movies for me were not opening very fast, but everything else was. I stumbled upon this site first then got to this one.

http://techblogbydave.blogspot.com/2009/11/windows-7-slow-folder-opening-for-video.html

Basically windows 7 is trying to optimize the folder for you, which isn't necessary in most cases.

1)on the slow folder, click on Organize, and select Properties.
    2)click on the Customize tab
    3)and change "Optimize this folder for:" from Videos to "General Items".

Hopefully this helps, if not forgive my barging in to the thread.
    • Edited by hawksfan03 Sunday, February 7, 2010 12:19 AM i did the link wrong
    • Proposed as answer by Mayday123 Monday, March 15, 2010 3:54 AM
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 12:18 AM
  • maybe I didn't explain myself well enough but I wasn't asking a question I was proposing an answer for the problem originally mentioned in this thread
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 12:53 PM
  • i also experienced same problem.

In my view there will be two issues relating to the windows 7 slowdown
    1. Any background process
    2. Graphic hardware responding very slow due to effects of windows 7

Amolkumar Supe
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:12 AM
  • hawksfan03:

You are a life saver!  
    You have the right answer and it solves my problem (W7 File Explorer extremely slow)
    I set my entire C drive and its sub folder to "General Items" and it's very fast now.

Here is the solution from hawksfan03:

"Basically windows 7 is trying to optimize the folder for you, which isn't necessary in most cases.

3)and change "Optimize this folder for:" from Videos to "General Items". "
    Monday, March 15, 2010 3:58 AM
  • I have experienced same problem from RC 7100 to RTM 7600. Seems problem gone worse.
    I not restarted my laptop , just hibernate it. When in RC, after 1 week or 2 weeks, this problem will come out. Create new folder and rename new folder very very slow, cause the explorer window to not response for 1-2 minute. A system reboot or restart of explorer process will fix the problem. But it will come back again.

When upgrade to RTM, after 2-3 days, this problem come. It is really annoying!!! And it not looks like hardware or driver problem.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Thanks a Lot hawksfan03 !!! I had a video folder that was incredibly slow(aka 2 min) and that was my problem...

I don't know why this option is so slow...

Now opening this folder is instantaneous

From hawksfan03 :

Basically windows 7 is trying to optimize the folder for you, which isn't necessary in most cases.

• Proposed as answer by luffy911 Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:06 AM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:06 AM
  • My problem occurred after approximately 2 weeks with no reboot and going in and out of sleep mode. A restart of the computer solved the problem. Now I do not use sleep mode that much so the problem has not occurred again. Seems like there is a bugg related to my use of this Windows functions. (maybe combined with some other software)

Senior consultant Exchange and infrastructur
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 7:42 AM
  • I was having the same problem and I tried to figure out what was different or what I had donre recently. Nothing would come to mind. I scanned with all kinds of stuff but couldnt find it. Defraged still no results. Then I was going to re-install Windows 7 but something came up so I had to shut off my computer. Upon restarting it my Symantec warned of some suspicious activity by a program called "Premier Opinion Survey". I quarantined it and it solved the problem.
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 1:25 AM
  • I didn't read through the entire thread so forgive me if I'm a little off track here, but I was having a problem where folders with movies for me were not opening very fast, but everything else was. I stumbled upon this site first then got to this one.

http://techblogbydave.blogspot.com/2009/11/windows-7-slow-folder-opening-for-video.html

My 'properties' doesn't have a 'customize' tab. Am I missing something here????
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:48 PM
  • No - there are some folders that don't have a Customize tab by design: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/customizetab.htm

Monday, December 20, 2010 9:49 AM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was about to revert to XP. I had Nero Online Backup and just used Revo Uninstaller to remove it cleanly. Without even rebooting I checked the folder that I could NOT sort by date and it worked immediately. No defrag required either!

Thanks again, this worked like magic :~)

Monday, February 28, 2011 10:05 AM
  • Hi, old Post I know but to help people out who have what sounds like the same problem, it is mentioned below that Nero 8 causes, another application that claims to be Windows 7 32/64 friendly is Power Archiver 2011 (P.A.2011)...

I Can tell you and I will be telling the makers that it is not friendly at all, P.A.2011  attempts to be a power Explorer, File Viewer and Archiver and as such appears to load a protocol of it's own that scans the files as you access their Directory (Folder) in much the same way that Explorer does, this is ok inside of the application, but I had this program attempting it whilst not running the application and I was exploring with explorer.

the Result was Media Thumbnails that were blank, with only the first 12 being shown as intended, the explorer scan was slower than a 1980's dial up modem trying to download a youtube video.

looking for a fix, I searched google with luck, then I found this site about nero8, though ok an application, checked all my recently installed applications, decided it was not Oblivion as Oblivion does not scan files, then noticed the install date on Power Archiver 2011 and realised my issues started the day after I installed this application, so a one uninstall and a reboot later and everything is perfect again, just like new. 

So if this is happening to you, and the Win7 files check out, look for 3rd party app that accesses files in a similar manner to Explorer, and unless you really really need it, dump it and get your money back, 

• Proposed as answer by Firsidh Tuesday, April 5, 2011 1:55 PM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 1:54 PM
  • am sick of windows 7 its a piece of crap xp pro was better and cheaper
    Friday, May 13, 2011 12:08 PM
  • WOW thank you , i found some one say like me ~~~ the NEREO IS the biggest problem in Windows 7..
    Sunday, June 5, 2011 8:00 PM
  • In addition to Hawksfan05's solution, I found that it helped to delete Windows Search Index.

- control panel

- indexing options (if u can't find it, type "indexing" into control panel search box)

- modify

- remove ticks

- right-click on each "included location"

- remove ticks as they show up

- back to indexing options

- advanced

- rebuild

- if prompted, select skip, or "more"

That's it.  If you're looking for a search utility about a billion zillion times better than windows search, try:

everything.exe

download from <cite>www.voidtools.com</cite>

good luck everyone

• Proposed as answer by Iam_Pinoy Thursday, November 3, 2011 5:55 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 3:11 AM
  • I did all these to all my folders and sub-folders with no avail... I solved the problem of slow opening folders by creating a new account in my computer and just made sure the new account has access to all the folders that the original problem user account has. Problem solved. I did not delete the user account with the problem, I'll wait to see if someone will provide a 'real solution/fix'.

Iam

Senior Member Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Columbia, SC Section
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:01 AM
  • For the benefit of those who are being driven nuts with SLLOOOWWWW Explorer 'Problems', I list the methodology which has worked for me.
    As always, 'Use at Own Risk' and 'Your Mileage May Vary'.
    Do NOT repeat NOT perform these steps unless youfully understand the ramifications and are prepared to live with the consequences.
    BACKUP FIRST !!! - Create a RESTORE POINT!

The latest incarnations of Windows attempt to 'out-think' the user in order to provide a 'Better Computing Experience', and that is well and good for the average Joe-Blow, but NOT what the Power-User wants or expects.  There are MANY suggestions as to the cause and solution(s) for slow Explorer response, but we have to remember just how much work is going on behind the scenes.
    Much of that work is to provide 'pretty' screen enhancements and to make for 'simpler' Searching.  By foregoing some of these we can reclaim quite a lot of CPU cycles and Disk I/O for our own (Applications) use.
    Before you embark on any changes, carefully assess just how you use your PC. - How important are Thumbnails? - What value does Content View really provide? - Can you implement a Folder structure and File-Naming convention which makes Snippets and Content indexing of little use?
    You'll still be able to see local thumbnails if that's what you want, they will just be remade each time you open the folder and select Thumbnail (Large Icon) View.  This is usually less bothersome than the time loss of having a 'Master' Thumbnail cache maintained and updated for every file operation.

Certainly, some 3rd Party 'add-ons' (Power Archiver for one! & similar) may cause problems, as can poorly configured A/V programs (realtime checking of Notepad for instance, every time it is opened??? Why not bring back the old innoculate method?) - but I digress.
    For many, the slow Explorer problem exists without any of the suspects / causes mentioned in previous Posts, or elsewhere online.
    I repeat: 'This methodology has worked for me - Your Mileage May Vary'.

Now for the fun & games:

Kill the time and resource hog 'Indexing Services' - Plenty of advice on how to do that is available online.
    DISALLOW Indexing on all volumes.

To retain the ability to search for my files, I have been using the Search Everything tool from: http://www.voidtools.com/ which searches ONLY on local or removable NTFS volumes. (ie NOT FAT32 USB Drives!)  But that poses very little problem when I examine my real-world use of any Search Tool.
    SE needs Administrator privileges for its low-level file-system access, certainly not an issue to have a responsive Global Search at your fingertips.
    With 34.5 Gb (> 137,000 files in > 20,000 folders) on HDD, and 627 Gb (> 2,300,000 files in > 82,500 folders) on a Portable USB Drive, Search Everything has about 74Kb RAM usage and the db file is 10.5 Mb on disk - not a huge overhead.
    The initial run occupied about 10 minutes of my setting options and less than 5 minutes for the building of the database.
    The online FAQ has plenty of information including how to use wildcards, Path Matching, boolean operators and regex use.
    With a lean mean responsive search at hand, now to clobber some more of the 'features' which are supposed to 'help' us in our computing experience...

Big Guns Time!

Start Group Policy Editor -
    Start > Run > gpedit.msc
    Navigate to:
    Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Explorer

Locate and ENABLE the settings as listed:

1. Turn off the display of thumbnails and only display icons on network folders

Disables the display of thumbnails on network folders in Windows Explorer.
    Windows Explorer displays thumbnails on network folders by default.
    If you enable this policy. Windows Explorer will only display icons and never display thumbnails on network folders.

That gets rid of the first time-waster - Network access is slow enough without adding the extra traffic for thumbnails, and many PCs are stand-alone anyway.

2. Turn off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files.

Turns off the caching of thumbnails in hidden thumbs.db files.
    This policy setting allows you to configure Windows Explorer to cache thumbnails of items residing in network folders in hidden thumbs.db files.
    If you enable this policy setting, Windows Explorer does not create, read from, or write to thumbs.db files.
    If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, Windows Explorer creates, reads from, and writes to thumbs.db files.

This goes hand-in hand with 1.

3. Turn off Windows Libraries features that rely on indexed file data

This policy setting allows you to turn off Windows Libraries features that need indexed file metadata to function properly. If you enable this policy, some Windows Libraries features will be turned off to better handle included folders that have been redirected to non-indexed network locations. Setting this policy will:
    * Disable all Arrangement views except for "By Folder"
    * Disable all Search filter suggestions other than "Date Modified" and "Size"
    * Disable view of file content snippets in Content mode when search results are returned
    * Disable ability to stack in the Context menu and Column headers
    * Exclude Libraries from the scope of Start search
    This policy will not enable users to add unsupported locations to Libraries.

If you enable this policy, Windows Libraries features that rely on indexed file data will be disabled.
    If you disable or do not configure this policy, all default Window Libraries features will be enabled.

Well, with Indexing turned OFF, this one is a real no-brainer, isn't it?

4. Turn off the display of snippets in Content view mode

Disables the display of snippets when Content view mode is turned on.
    Windows Explorer shows snippets in Content view mode by default.
    If you enable this policy, Windows Explorer will not display snippets in Content view mode.

That stops peeking into every file and trying to decode the snippet - MORE time-saving.

5. Turn off caching of thumbnail pictures

This setting controls whether the thumbnail views are cached.
    If you enable this setting, thumbnail views are not cached.
    If you disable or do not configure this setting, thumbnail views are cached.
    Note: For shared corporate workstations or computers where security is a top concern, you should enable this setting to turn off the thumbnail view cache, because the thumbnail cache can be read by everyone.

It (IMHO) is faster to generate the thumbnails as needed (for my usage anyway), rather than to be attempting to maintain a global cache each time a file is created, modified, deleted or moved.
    This completely cuts out the thumbnail caching overheads, and makes quite an impressive speed difference.  Even on an old 1.7 GHz Laptop with 2 Gb RAM and an Intel 915GM Graphics Card (NOT the best choice for Win 7 by any means!).

6. Turn off numerical sorting in Windows Explorer

This policy setting allows you to have file names sorted literally (as in Windows 2000 and earlier) rather than in numerical order.
    If you enable this policy setting, Windows Explorer will sort file names by each digit in a file name (for example, 111 < 22 < 3).
    If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, Windows Explorer will sort file names by increasing number value (for example, 3 < 22 < 111).

Do I REALLY want to waste the time on this procedure? If I want to sequence my files, I'll prefix the filenames with 0's - 003 < 022 < 111. Not a problem!

Subjectively, these changes make for a much more responsive system.
    Objectively, moving over 2.3 Gb (7,500+ files) via 'Drag & Drop' from HDD to USB Drive shrank from 12 Mins+ to about 8 Mins. Explorer did NOT 'freeze', and I could freely change the displayed folders in both the Source and Target Explorer windows.

--

I hope that this is of use to others, it has served me well for the last several months.
    A few minor delays when wanting thumbnail views, but certainly FAR LESS DELAY than before the changes, and no more stalled Explorer.

2010: - Windows? - MAC OS X? - LINUX? - UBUNTU? - 1982: - Commodore C=64? - Amiga? - BBC Micro? - Apple II? - Same old play, only the actors have changed.

Monday, March 12, 2012 4:38 AM
  • This has been bugging me for sooooooooo long - i thought i'd fixed it a couple of times, but it kept coming back (Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit). Finally fixed it today, by replacing Windows Explorer.

Download Xplorer2 from:
    zabkat.com

Then when you install it, select the option to use the program to replace Windows Explorer.  Listing the files in a directory is like Lightning!

Couple of tips:
    - installing it in 64 bit windows it gives a popup suggestion about downloading a different version.  As far as I can see there's no "lite" 64 bit version, but the 32bit version is working fine for me
    - i found the font a bit small to start with.  Go to Tools -> Options -> Window -> Main Font to change

Enjoy fast folders!!
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:07 AM
  • For everyone who is experimenting this strange issue, try this:

1. Open services.msc
    2. Check if Remote Procedure Call Service (RPC) Locator, Encrypting File System (EFS) and Distributed Link Tracking Client services are stopped
    3. Check their startup type, if they are disabled or in manual, put them back to automatic
    4. Start them

It might solve your problem.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:36 AM
  • type cmd

than go to the program

type ping [ShellExView]/

and you ll see iff you have a host or a gast 

succes

delicious not vicious

Friday, May 16, 2014 7:21 AM