%*$*#&#* Windows 7 Calculator! RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to use Windows 7 calculator to help with some software I'm developing that uses complex math functions, along with a healthy dose of 64 bit integer arithmetic. 

I won't get into the irritating fact that now you can't use one mode for both modest math functions and binary (and that you lose the accumulator if you switch modes)...  Okay, so I ended up running two of them and copying and pasting between.  But...

It's 3:00 am and I'm trying to see what a big number, logged in a text file in decimal via a printf %I64u conversion, is in hex.

Whose idea was it to change the damned calculator so that it won't accept a decimal number big enough to fill an unsigned 64 bit word?

Try copying this number and pasting it into the Windows 7 calculator:  17281580835365214242  You'll find it goes "ding" and fails to enter the last digit.  In hex this is:  EFD4823541245822  How do I know this?  Because the Vista calculator does the conversion just fine.

Okay, so let me just make a copy of the Vista calculator so I can run it on my Windows 7 system.  I'm licensed for all these operating systems anyway.  No dice - Microsoft tied the stupid calculator application to the operating system version.  So I have to RDP into my Vista machine just to use the calculator.

1.  Someone PLEASE tell me how to get the Vista calculator to run under Windows 7.

2.  Why, oh, why are Microsoft Engineers allowed to rework something that is fine as is, then call the rework "finished" when it's not as good as the old version?

-Noel

Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:14 AM

Answers

• For grins, I just copied calc.exe from my XP Pro system (under Sun VirtualBox)  to my Win 7 Pro X64 system and it works. Set it to Scientific, pasted in the number you showed and converted it to Hex, no problem.

No Run as needed, it just works.

Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal
    • Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, March 26, 2010 7:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Noel Carboni Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:56 AM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:40 PM

All replies

• There seems to be a 20 number limit in windows 7 calc which is bizarre!

This is just theory

On your windows Vista machine copy calc.exe from your windows system 32 folder and the calc.exe.mui from the system32 en-us folder.

On your windows 7 machine i think you might have to take ownership/ give admin full control over these two files (which should be in the same location). Once done i think you can copy your vista files over and overwrite them accepting any warnings.

When you next run calc 'i think' or it should run the vista version.

It might be worth checking file versions/ sizes before doing this to see if there really is a change in calc.exe (i wouldnt have though they changed calc.exe as its one of them programs that does not need changing?)

Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:17 AM
  • A13x's method is quite similar to the one allowing the use of the windows 7 calculator in Vista, so it must be OK.

for information, the official method to use the Windows 7 calculator in Vista is as follows:

Take a backup of the existing calculator in windows vista. To do this, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\ & C:\Windows\System32\en-US\ and backup the files calc.exe and calc.exe.mui respectively. The backup would be useful in case you mess up something while replacing the files, or you want to revert back. But i don’t see any reason why you want to revert back Replace calc.exe in C:\Windows\System32\ & calc.exe.mui in C:\Windows\System32\en-US\ with the Windows 7 versions, you just downloaded. Make sure you are logged in as an administrator and you have full permissions to replace the calculator files However Noel it is not the only problem you'll run into. The programmer mode doesn't allow the use of the decimal point either.

It's not the only programme microsoft has messed with. They added a lot of bells and whistles but took away functionality.

Cheers

Rem

Thursday, March 25, 2010 5:29 PM
  • It's pretty tied-in with the Vista OS, apparently, in the vicinity of the Desktop Window Manager (e.g., Aero).  When I try to run the Vista Calc.exe on Windows 7 I get a whole bunch of these messages, after which it comes up and works, but things like the Help menu yield more of these:

Copying the Vista USER32.dll into the local folder yields a hang of the app with no messages.

Fortunately I didn't destroy my system in the process of trying to get this to work, as I would have if I had overwritten the files in the manner you advised above, A13x.

Figures.  The whole world wants the Windows 7 calculator on Vista, and I have to be the one who's actually trying to USE the damned thing, not just marvel at its prettiness, and want it the other way.  Sigh.

Bring back to "To Work" option.  Pretty please.

-Noel

Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:07 PM
  • For grins, I just copied calc.exe from my XP Pro system (under Sun VirtualBox)  to my Win 7 Pro X64 system and it works. Set it to Scientific, pasted in the number you showed and converted it to Hex, no problem.

No Run as needed, it just works.

Rich Why can't I be different and original like everybody else? - Vivian Stanshal
    • Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, March 26, 2010 7:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Noel Carboni Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:56 AM
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:40 PM
  • Thanks.  I don't normally keep an XP Pro system here up and running, so I didn't try that, but I have plenty of XP virtual machines, so I booted one up just to go get calc.exe as you suggested.  Hooah, it works.  I am a happy camper.

A thousand thanks from me, Ztruker.  Yessir, that will do nicely!  Nicely indeed!!

-Noel

Saturday, March 27, 2010 2:56 AM
  • Nice to be able to help you once in a while since you help so many others, including me.

I now have a link in my Accessories folder called XP Calculator :)

Saturday, March 27, 2010 7:33 PM
  • Nice to be able to help you once in a while since you help so many others, including me.

I now have a link in my Accessories folder called XP Calculator :)

Saturday, March 27, 2010 7:34 PM
  • This is really late post, but thought I'd add my 2 cents. You can copy the calc.exe from a server 2003 box and it works too. I copied to my system, renamed calc-xp.exe and put in the system32 folder. Then I can call it on a whim. And just a plug for the new calc, it's got some pretty cool stuff like mortgage calculator, and a whole conversion wizard/tool too. I have no idea why they won't display decimals or allow you to input them though.
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 3:07 AM
  • I don't have any Server 2003 systems running right now...  Does that Calc.exe look and work just like the XP version?

-Noel

My new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:46 PM
  • I don't know about the Server 2003 version, but the W98 and XP versions both work in Windows 7. See http://www.sevenforums.com/software/84927-calculator-question.html
    Monday, January 2, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Try PowerToy Calc
    Friday, December 25, 2015 5:52 PM
  • Thanks, but the problem was solved long ago with the Calculator Plus package:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21622

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Sunday, December 27, 2015 10:40 AM