Storage (ProLiant SNMP) object not discovered RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!
    One of our system engineers asked me why the faulty disk he had found had not generated an alert in SCOM.
    Upon investigation, I found that the Storage (ProLiant SNMP) object was not discovered for that particular server.
    Digging deeper, I realised that, roughly 25% of the ProLiant Server objects where not hosting Storage (ProLiant SNMP) objects.

And to answer the most obvious questions:
    Same OS
    Same HW eg. DL380 G5 (but we see this on G4s too)
    Same FW
    Same version of Insight Components
    etc etc

I have run the script (Hewlett-PackardProLiantSNMPHealthDiscovery.vbs) outside SCOM and reproduced the issue.
    On servers that do not have the Storage object discovered the xml output does not contain a discovered Storage object.
    and vice-versa

anyone seen this?

Next step will be to write a debugger script but trying to find out the logic in the registry-keys holding this information will probably take a day or two.

So I'm hoping someone have seen this and it is a confirmed bug with HP.

Regards
    Roger
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:14 PM

Answers

• Thanks!
    Turned out that SNMP was not porperly configured.

Note, there are WBEM versions for the Insight Agents, these do not need SNMP.
    If, for some reasons, both SNMP and WBEM are installed on a server, the MP will default to SNMP.
    This behaviour can be changed with an override.

Roger

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:55 AM

All replies

• Hi there.  I have not seen this on the 700+ agents we've deployed so far.  This may be a silly question, but it's the only thing I can think of.  Is the HP Insight Storage Agents service running on the server where the Storage (ProLiant SNMP) object is not discovered?

- Layne
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Well, good question but yes, that service is running.

We can't find what is the common factor for the servers affected.

Thanks anyway
    Roger
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:46 PM
  • just recieved these steps from HP

1.       Start with the System Management Homepage and compare a working system against the problem system.  

2.       Please check you are using a supported version of the ProLiant Support Pack and check to see a community string is configured with the SNMP service.

The following link is the Support Matrix for all of HP’s integration with System Center:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01299199/c01299199.pdf

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Thanks!
    Turned out that SNMP was not porperly configured.

Note, there are WBEM versions for the Insight Agents, these do not need SNMP.
    If, for some reasons, both SNMP and WBEM are installed on a server, the MP will default to SNMP.
    This behaviour can be changed with an override.

Roger

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:55 AM
  • I am experiencing a similar issue where HP Storage shows not monitored on a number of systems.  Can you provide some info about the override process to correct these issues? 

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:04 PM