none
DriverGroup's Number? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have three different deployment shares on my MDT 2013 server. To organize the drivers, I created a folder for each type of hardware model in out-of-box drivers. To correspond with that, I added an entry to CustomSettings.ini that tells the deployment where to look for drivers, according to each model. Example for Dell OptiPlex 990 and 9010 computers:

[OptiPlex 990]
    DriverGroup001=Windows 7\x64\%model%
    DriverSelectionProfile=nothing

[OptiPlex 9010]

My question is since this is the third deployment share, should the driver group be 003 instead of 001? I can't seem to find any information on how to organize drivers along these lines.

Thanks

Jason

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 9:17 PM

Answers

• You don't have to set that for each model. Either set the driver group variable in default or set it in your task sequence. Leave it as DriverGroup001, it doesn't matter that you have multiple deployment shares.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Proposed as answer by Ty GlanderModerator Wednesday, July 22, 2015 10:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by N74JW Thursday, July 23, 2015 12:10 PM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2015 9:55 PM

All replies

• You don't have to set that for each model. Either set the driver group variable in default or set it in your task sequence. Leave it as DriverGroup001, it doesn't matter that you have multiple deployment shares.

• Proposed as answer by Ty GlanderModerator Wednesday, July 22, 2015 10:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by N74JW Thursday, July 23, 2015 12:10 PM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2015 9:55 PM
  • Not sure I follow by "setting the drivergroup variable in the default", but 001 or 003 doesn't matter?

Thanks

Jason

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 11:06 PM
  • From your example above:

[Default]

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 11:16 PM
  • If I understand correctly, and set it up like that, the deployment task will figure out what drivers to use?

Jason

Thursday, July 23, 2015 12:30 PM
  • Sorry for the short answer, I was on my way out. Personally I like to set my variable in the TS, but that's up to you.

1. Out-of-Box Drivers structure
    2. Name of task (the name doesn't matter as long as it makes sense to you
    3. The variable should be "DriverGroup001" and the value needs to match your structure (see #1)

The way it works is you're telling MDT this is the folder to grab ALL your files from. Since the files it is grabbing are only for the %make% and %model% there's no chance that the drivers will be wrong (well unless the manufacture made bad drivers). When Windows runs its PnP detection you don't have to worry about it grabbing a driver meant for a similar but different model. That can happen when using the total chaos model (injecting drivers for all models).

Thursday, July 23, 2015 1:12 PM