MDT, reference image and Windows updates RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to build an automated Windows 7 x64 reference image with MDT 2012. My task sequence runs fully automatic and installs all Windows updates from local WSUS during reference image creation task sequence. Problem is that this WSUS update process will hang and I see a low memory error coming from windows during MDT is installing those updates. My Windows 7 media that I use is original SP1 Windows 7 Enterprise media that is imported to MDT.

Reference machine is a virtual machine running in hyper-v 2012 and it has 2GB ram and two cpu cores.

Atm I added a suspend step to task sequence and I'm running manually those updates to reference machine directly from Microsoft Update. No problems so far. 

• Edited by jqx12 Tuesday, September 9, 2014 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 4:04 PM

Answers

• I had a problem with ZTIWindowsUpdate recently, where Windows Update Agent would return some mysterious out of memory errors.

My update was to force ZTIWindowsUpdate to exit and reboot after 100 updates:

Old:

If oInstalledUpdates.Exists(item.Identity.UpdateID) Then
    	oLogging.CreateEntry "  FOUND - " & item.Identity.UpdateID & " - " & Item.Title & kb, LogTypeInfo
    ElseIf bInstall = TRUE then
    	oLogging.CreateEntry "INSTALL - " & item.Identity.UpdateID & " - " & Item.Title & kb, LogTypeInfo
    	updatesToDownload.Add(Item)
    Else
    	oLogging.CreateEntry "  SKIP  - " & item.Identity.UpdateID & " - " & Item.Title & kb, LogTypeInfo
    End if

New:

oLogging.CreateEntry "  FOUND - " & item.Identity.UpdateID & " - " & Item.Title & kb, LogTypeInfo
    ElseIf bInstall = TRUE and updatesToDownload.count < 100 then
    	oLogging.CreateEntry "INSTALL - " & item.Identity.UpdateID & " - " & Item.Title & kb, LogTypeInfo
    Else
    	oLogging.CreateEntry "  SKIP  - " & item.Identity.UpdateID & " - " & Item.Title & kb, LogTypeInfo
    End if

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Saturday, September 13, 2014 5:19 AM

All replies

• I'm wondering if the host is running out available memory - have you another HyperV host you could run the Reference VM from?

My capture VM uses the same spec (2gb, 2cores) and is updating fine (Apart from taking an age to update due to the number of patches; oh service pack 2 for W7, where art thou???)

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 12:30 PM
  • I had a problem with ZTIWindowsUpdate recently, where Windows Update Agent would return some mysterious out of memory errors.

My update was to force ZTIWindowsUpdate to exit and reboot after 100 updates:

Old:

ElseIf bInstall = TRUE then
    Else
    End if

New:

ElseIf bInstall = TRUE and updatesToDownload.count < 100 then
    Else
    End if

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Saturday, September 13, 2014 5:19 AM
  • Thanks Keith for sharing this! 

I was just testing reference image creation in my desktop running VMware Workstation and this time I tried directly downloading updates from Microsoft.  I still got the same memory error and the update process hangs. I manually  killed windows update process from task manager and after that the MDT update process started to go forward and rebooted the machine continuing updates installation process.

Saturday, September 13, 2014 6:03 AM
  • No it's not that. Host has over 100 gb free ram.
    Saturday, September 13, 2014 6:04 AM
  • This is definitely an issue. I have let this process go and Trusted Installer process gets to over 2gb all by itself. I would recommend using the change above or a minimum 4 GB of Ram on your VM to setup this process for Windows 7 SP1.

• Edited by Clientguy Tuesday, March 31, 2015 8:12 PM
    Tuesday, March 31, 2015 7:37 PM