Securable.exe reporting hardware virtualization missing. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having problems successfully starting a VM in Hyper-V RTM, so I decided to run the
    securable.exe program I've seen mentioned in this thread.  I have 2 dual core Xeon 5160
    machine, and the securable.exe program I've seen floating around is saying that hardware
    virtualization is not supported.

I have Execute Disable Bit and Intel Virtualization enabled in the BIOS, but for some reason
    it is not showing up.  I've seen this hardware as supporting Hyper-V, any ideas why hardware
    virtualization support might be not showing up correctly at the OS level when its enabled in the BIOS? 

This is on RTM Windows 2008 x64 running RTM Hyper-V.
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 1:36 AM

Answers

• If you're running these tools with the Hyper-V role installed, you WILL see this behavior.
    These tools are meant to be run PRIOR to the installation of the role. The Hypervisor is intercepting the calls being made by the these tools and therefore they're making incorrect assessments.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Sean Dwyer [MSFT] Monday, August 4, 2008 1:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Tuesday, August 5, 2008 10:53 AM
    Monday, August 4, 2008 1:48 PM

All replies

• I've seen this tool report incorect results and someone else reported the same thing earlier today.

What OS is in your virtual machine? Where did you make it - was it P2V, from Virtual PC or Virtual Server, or Hyper-V? If Hyper-V did you create it on the machine you are using now?

Saturday, August 2, 2008 1:47 AM
  • Check this post from Taylor and grab the Intel PIU software and see what results you get compared to Securable.exe Also make sure you have the latest BIOS for your machine and as Taylor states, "After you enable the virtualization extensions  you need to do a hard reboot, i.e. power the system all the way off and back on – just make sure you actually save your BIOS settings first."
    Cheers, Stephen Edgar
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 4:33 AM
  • I've run Securable on all three of my machines. It is incorrect on 2 out of 3 - and those are the ones running Hyper-V.
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 11:19 PM
  • Both the GRC Securable & Intel PIU reports that I don't have 'Intel VT'

I wonder if having Hyper-V installed affects the way these utilities operate and are intercepting the call?

Hyper-V Intel VT
    Cheers, Stephen Edgar
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 2:50 AM
  • same thing here,

ik think it has something to do with the fact that you and i are running this tool inside the parent partition wich is just another 'client' to the hardware hypervisor actually controlling the machine (the hyper-V hypervisor wich is using no-ex en VT instructions)

regards

Erik

Sunday, August 3, 2008 10:45 AM
  • If you're running these tools with the Hyper-V role installed, you WILL see this behavior.
    These tools are meant to be run PRIOR to the installation of the role. The Hypervisor is intercepting the calls being made by the these tools and therefore they're making incorrect assessments.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Sean Dwyer [MSFT] Monday, August 4, 2008 1:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Chang Yin Tuesday, August 5, 2008 10:53 AM
    Monday, August 4, 2008 1:48 PM
  • Thanks Sean, It did start to make sense once both tools reported the same.
    Cheers, Stephen Edgar
    Monday, August 4, 2008 2:22 PM
  • Thanks for the info.  I guess that was just a red herring then.  :(

My real problem is that the darn VM makes the host reboot every time I try to start it up.
    Monday, August 4, 2008 9:32 PM