Write permissions to content directory RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently doing a test implementation of APP-V 4.5 Management Server on a W2k3 Server SP2 / R2.

Currently working in an environment where we have several domains with trusts between them I noticed an issue (not relating to APP-V).

Problem;
    We use a DFS-namespace to point out a share hosted on a trusted-domains member-server containing the content-directory.

I can do whatever I want in there (full-permissions) but when verifying my effective permissions, they say that I have Read permissions.

Now, this gives me an issue when installing. When point to this directory I get the following (clicking next...)
    "The installation program was unable to obtain write access to provided content directory"
    (saying some more, but you get the point)

Now, I realise that this error isn't APP-Vs fault, but my questions is this;

Why do I need write-access to that directory? 

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:19 AM

Answers

• You will need write access during the installation because Setup adds a demo application to the content folder. You could get around this by using a local content folder during installation and then change it after install. 

Change the value of HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Server\SOFTGRID_CONTENT_DIR after installation, then restart the Application Virtualization Management Server service.

Copy the demo app to your new content share if you want to use it.
    • Marked as answer by znack Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:13 PM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:41 AM