Does the 2019 Essentials must have to be a domain controller RRS feed

• Question

• ... Or you can operate this in a Workgroup with local users?, or do i have to create a domain?

The new 2019 Essentials will be the only one server in the environment.

Greetings :-)

Thursday, June 27, 2019 8:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows Server 2019 still has license limitation, it should be PDC and only one Essentials version on the domain. For new WS2019 Essentials, based on my VM test, it can be configured and used in Workgroup environment as AD DS server role is not forced to be installed. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:49 AM
  • based on my VM test, it can be configured and used in Workgroup environment as AD DS server role is not forced to be installed. 

Yes i made the same experience. But will i be alerted some day, to promote the 2019 Essentials to a PDC?
    Thursday, June 27, 2019 10:54 AM
  • Hi,

>Windows Server 2019 Essentials has the same licensing and technical characteristics as its predecessor, Windows Server 2016 Essentials. If configured as a Domain Controller, Windows Server 2019 Essentials must be the only Domain Controller, must run all Flexible Single Master Operations (FSMO) roles, and cannot have two-way trusts with other Active Directory domains.

Quote from blog “Windows Server 2019 Essentials update”:
    https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2018/09/05/windows-server-2019-essentials-update/

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 28, 2019 2:12 AM
  • Yep i know this, but what means ( if configured as a Domain Controller...) ?, what if not? :-) Could it stay in a workgroup as single server?
    Friday, June 28, 2019 9:17 AM
  • Just an FYI ...

As you are dealing with Essentials, you may want to ask the Essentials experts your questions.  Essentials is based on Windows Server, but its implementation is unique, meaning general Windows Server knowledge does not always apply to Essentials installations.  That's why there is a separate forum located at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=ws16essentials.

tim

Friday, June 28, 2019 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

For system license consideration, and for Microsoft, AD domain is recommended. If you only want to keep the WSE 2019 on Workgroup, it is supported but not recommended, and just the warning message as you had mentioned.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, July 1, 2019 6:18 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang      

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, July 5, 2019 7:37 AM