Problems after applying new OpsMgr R2 MP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've recently updated this MP to the latest version (6.1.76.72.0) and since doing so I'm getting a bit of an alert storm for workflow initialization: Failed to start a workflow that runs a profile of service (on 2 out of 4 mailbox servers only atm).  The command appears to be "AD_Client_Update_DCs.vbs"

Reading the updates to the MP is says the previous alert rule name was Alert on Failure to Create Process for Batch Response - however I've no alerts of this name in console so I'm assuming these new alerts have come directly from the updated MP.

There was so info in community on the AD_Client_Update_DCs.vbs command see http://blogs.technet.com/b/csstwplatform/archive/2009/04/08/scom-admp-client-monitoring-feature-not-working.aspx

This symptom described here matches what I see in event viewer, but references a known issue in AD MP ver 6.0.6452.0 - I am on ver 6.0.7065.0 so is the bug persistant in this version and does the same workaround sort the problem?.

I am unsure whether it's just this noisy alert or if others are being generated aswell - my preprod environment is showing a load of these alerts but for other .vbs issue not just AD_Client_Update_DCs.vbs!!

Any help with this much appreciated

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 11:58 AM

Answers

• Well the alerts seem to have disappeard, none since leaving and coming back to work thismorning anyway! So looks like its resolved itself but still a bit confused since  the text file the override was supposed to create still isnt there ("MonitoredDCs.txt" generated under C:\Windows\temp folder on the AD clients computers)?
    Friday, July 30, 2010 8:19 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Please try the solution and see if AD MP Client monitoring feature works or if the error about “AD_Client_Update_DCs.vbs” disappears. In this thread, we can see “this was tested with AD 2008 R2 functional level and MP version 6.0.7065.0”:

Script or Executable Failed to run - AD_Client_Update_DCs

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagermgmtpacks/thread/8e706d73-ad86-48df-b451-6a4dda08634b

Meanwhile, please let us know the details if there are any other errors.

In addition, please also double-check the configurations or reconfigure the Operations Manager 2007 R2 Management Pack referring to the management pack guide:

Operations Manager 2007 R2 Management Pack

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=61365290-3c38-4004-b717-e90bb0f6c148&displaylang=en#filelist

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:54 AM
  • Nicholas,  Im not too clear on what to target the override on the rule against - it says to do the following

Configure the following overrides on "AD Client Update DCs" rule:
    1. Domain Controllers: enter a DC's FQDN that is located in your local site
    2. Site Discovery Mode: enter "3" (local site mode)

do I target the rule against the class AD Client perspective or another group or another class ie Domain controllers. Just to check the override settings I can make I selected ALL objects of class AD Client perspective and the first parameter is Domain controllers so I can type in a FQDN DC as per point 1 above and for point 2 site discovery mode is already at 3.

Can you clarify how the override needs targeted/configured?

Thanks for coming back to me!!

Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:25 AM
  • Nicholas, as per usual when I RTFM I think I've found the answer to my question - I need to target override to the group set up for Client Monitoring.  I'll try it now and let you know if I've any more problems!!

UPDATE

I've implemented the override targeted to the group already created for AD client monitoring discovery (a sample of 3 Exchange mailbox servers).  This appears to have stopped the storm of workflow initialization alerts which I was having, however Im now getting an AD client monitoring alert - "AD Client Pack DC discovery encountered an error - some machines will not be monitored by the client pack." which has come in to the console since creating the override.

The workaround says it should create a file called "MonitoredDCs.txt" generated under C:\Windows\temp folder on the AD clients computers, but I can't see this text file and not sure why.  From reading the MP - Configuring Clien Monitoring it indicates on additional confg is necessary using mode 3 (default) and only have to enable Domain Controller override if selecting Mode 4!! - getting more and more confused - wondering if I should rollback to previous version which didn't have these issues?

Cheers

Thursday, July 29, 2010 10:39 AM
  • Well the alerts seem to have disappeard, none since leaving and coming back to work thismorning anyway! So looks like its resolved itself but still a bit confused since  the text file the override was supposed to create still isnt there ("MonitoredDCs.txt" generated under C:\Windows\temp folder on the AD clients computers)?
    Friday, July 30, 2010 8:19 AM