Desktop Scaling RRS feed

• Question

• ASUS P6T with Intel Core i7 920, 6GB memory, PNY Nvidia Quadro FX 580, LG L246WP monitor, and native resolution set to 1920 x 1200. The desktop will not scale to the monitor. Anchors at the lower right. Entire top and left side are off the screen. Any suggestions?
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, August 24, 2009 6:09 AM Focus (From:Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility)
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:11 AM

Answers

• And here is the answer. The Nvidia driver has some problem with the LG L246WP monitor's HDMI connection. I hooked it up as an analog RGB monitor and everything is working fine. I read a few workarounds for the monitors HDMI connection and will contact Nvidia about this this week.
    • Marked as answer by R1chardH Monday, August 31, 2009 1:07 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 1:07 AM

All replies

• Which graphics drivers are you using? I see that the latest WHQL ones for your card are 190.38 at www.nvidia.com.

I have a similar setup, but with a desktop (GTX280) graphics card. The nVidia control panel has settings to control scaling, but they work differently under every build of Windows 7 (X64) that I've tried than under previous Windows versions.

Generally, when I have the resolution set to the native value (1920 x 1200) in the control panel, and try to set "do not scale" (the checkbox won't stay checked), some applications will not scale, and some will. I believe that the same thing happens with an ATI HD4870 card, so it may not be a driver bug.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:29 AM
  • I have similar with LG W2753V where when set to 1152x864 it defaults to 60 HZ refresh rate in advanced setting displaying a window that is at least 1" smaller than screen on all sides. Change to 75HZ expands window to screen size. Not too familiar with widescreen, I have found that TV, movies, pictures end up smaller than sceeen when I go above 1152x864 to recommended setting of 1920x1080.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 9:36 AM
  • Is the device (monitor) correctly identified in Devices and Printers? Try installing the monitor .inf from LG here. Many of these are not included in the RC.

Did that help?
    The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 11:54 AM
  • The current driver is the 190.38. The "control scaling" is greyed out in the control panel. Maybe I should try an older driver?

Sunday, August 23, 2009 9:14 PM
  • I have a choice of 59 HZ or 60 HZ. The 60 HZ selection will only support a color depth of 16 bits.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 9:17 PM
  • The monitor driver is loaded and identified as LG L246WP(Digital), driver version 1.3.0.0 dated 12/5/2006.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Why don't you uninstall the Nvidia driver and use the windows update...some issues with whql drivers...not only for graphic adapters.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 9:35 PM
  • I uninstalled the Nvidia driver, which also uninstalled the monitor. Now I can see the whole desktop on the screen, but there is no display adaptor or monitor in device manager. How do I know the system is taking advantage of the GPU?
    Monday, August 24, 2009 12:26 AM
  • A lot of things quit working when I uninstalled the driver, so the driver is now reinstalled and I am back to square 1. Any more suggestions?
    Monday, August 24, 2009 3:30 AM
  • Perform a quick test of graphic adapter post the log or see for yourself
    Monday, August 24, 2009 7:34 AM
  • A lot of things quit working when I uninstalled the driver, so the driver is now reinstalled and I am back to square 1. Any more suggestions?

Usually Nvidia graphic adapters and monitor comes with an installation disk or floppy disks...use the manufacturer installation drivers than use windows update...those things should come back to normal:) once installated the manufacturer drivers supplied with the computer.If not perform a full check disk.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 7:38 AM

Usually Nvidia graphic adapters and monitor comes with an installation disk or floppy disks...use the manufacturer installation drivers than use windows update...those things should come back to normal:) once installated the manufacturer drivers supplied with the computer.If not perform a full check disk.

Probably all the aplications using 3D and open GL quit as once uninstalled the drivers the graphic adapter and monitor function only on windows based minimum requirements.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 7:41 AM
  • I can only recommend that you confirm your settings as all of the hardware is compatible with the OS.

PNY is currently recommending the 186.18 WHQL version of the Win 7 driver for your card. You'll definitely need the .inf for the monitor also if Win 7 doesn't find it.

The release notes for the nVidia Win 7 drivers show support for 1920x1200@60Hz.

LG specs show that the monitor supports 1920x1200@60Hz.

Are you connecting via DVI or HDMI? You lose some monitor features using analog. Their suggestion is to select OK Auto from the OSD to set the display size for analog.

DDC/CI should also be selected/enabled to control adjustments from the PC for DVI and HDMI.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 12:11 PM
  • The current PNY recommended driver for Windows 7 and Vista is 190.38, not the 186.18. The 186.18 driver is recommended for SBS 2008. I tried the 186.18 just in case and had the same bad results.

I know the monitor and driver both support 60Hz at 1920x1200, but the driver keeps defaulting to 59Hz for some reason.

I am connected via HDMI.

DDC/CI is enabled.

Until Microsoft or PNY decide to support the card I think I am ...
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:37 AM
  • I do not understand. What kind of quick test are you suggesting?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:38 AM
  • I do not understand. What kind of quick test are you suggesting?

The recommended drivers might still apply but I guess the BIOS configuration might be updated to PNY Nvidia Quadro FX 580 requests,
    Quick tests...any related to performance...might be usefully even the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor...any that might tell you anything about graphics adapters, monitors performance. 
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:56 AM
  • OK. The frequency is a range with 59Hz being acceptable. It seems nVidia wants the drivers to run there. Use the latest driver. You are correct.

Have you installed the monitor .inf from LG? Get it here. You need this for the display adapter to communicate with the monitor correctly. Don't worry about the version. 

The only other setting that I could find was to select the HDMI input from the OSD menu on the monitor.

From the nVidia control panel, advanced , select use my display's scaling.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:13 AM
  • I just noticed something. Are you connecting with the DVI to HDMI cable that was supplied with the monitor? I see no connection examples of using an HDMI to HDMI cable in the manual. Perhaps that is the issue.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:33 AM
  • And here is the answer. The Nvidia driver has some problem with the LG L246WP monitor's HDMI connection. I hooked it up as an analog RGB monitor and everything is working fine. I read a few workarounds for the monitors HDMI connection and will contact Nvidia about this this week.
    • Marked as answer by R1chardH Monday, August 31, 2009 1:07 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 1:07 AM