none
Adding additional Serial Com Ports

Question

• I am trying to use Hyper-V to create custom images.  In the past, we had multiple machines setup and configured properly then used GHOST32(old, I know) to create an image to deploy.  I am wanting to move the process to a better, more easily configured, and update-able long term solution.  Creating the images and customizing them has gone very smoothly.  The hurdle I have run into is COM ports.  The company I work for develops and sales 3 proprietary pieces of software that rely on Serial communication to control hardware so that very specific and precise tasks take place. 

At the moment there are only 2 com ports showing in the virtual machine and I need 6.  I have not been successful in finding a way to add more.  I know from other forum posts that you can not connect the COM ports in the VM to the physical  ports, even though in my case this would be nice.  

If there is a way to do this, some guidance would be much appreciated.  Or if it is not, some direction towards an alternative.  I currently run everything from a local machine and not a server.  In the future that might change depending on the success I have now.   

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 1:54 PM

All replies

• You might look at using one of the comtrol or lantronics serial port redirectors. I've always had good luck using these ones.

https://comtrol.com/ethernet-device-servers/devicemaster-panel-mount/devicemaster-rts-1port-db9

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Tim CerlingMVP Wednesday, June 13, 2018 12:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by jleggett81 Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:36 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2018 11:49 PM
  • Dave, how would I go about using this to make the virtual machine let me add more than 2 com ports?  The host machine has 6 com ports on it already.  I am looking for a way to make the virtual show 6 com ports instead of the default 2.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:36 PM
  • Its been a while since I used them but the devicemaster adds virtual com ports to be used for the redirection. IIRC the devicemaster TCP port was configurable so you could probably add more than one to same instance of windows. We would use them when the RS232 device was a great distance from pc. Much better than using the older line driver technology. I'd contact them for more info. If you needed multiple points then maybe the rocketport, either case you could ask for more details here or just call them.

forum.comtrol.com/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:42 PM
  • I see what that would do.  But is there a way to accomplish what I am looking for without having to buy any additional equipment.  The com ports that I need to add to the VM don't need to actually connect to anything in the physical world.  I just need device manager in the VM to show 6 com ports instead of 2.
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 4:02 PM
  • Maybe this would work?

com0com.sourceforge.net/

Thursday, June 14, 2018 4:07 PM