HP Blade Enclosure C7000/C3000 - Temperature monitor is possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone.

After setup SNMP at HP OA web interface, setup SNMP at my SCOM server, imported HP Proliant/Enclosure MP and successfully send the test alert from HP OA web interface to SCOM Console (and override all 'alerts generation' from FALSE to TRUE)

I need create a new monitor to generate thermal alerts (if temperature is higher than xºF generates a alert) to my subscribers.

Someone already done this job? My step by step:

Authoring pane;
    Monitors; (add new)
    SNMP / Probe Based / Simple Event / SNMP Probe Monitor;

at Monitor Target I put HP BladeSystem Enclosure (per example);
    at Object Identifier I put OID ".1.3.6.1.4.1.232.22.2.3.1.2.1.6" without quotes (finded at HP forum https://community.hpe.com/t5/BladeSystem-General/SNMP-Temperature-from-HP-C7000/td-p/6102609);

The error comes:

The message box says "the targeted object...". So I try with others targets (Windows Computers, Windows Server 2012 R2 Computer, Windows Server 2012....) and NO WAY. The same error occur.

I'm lost something? The MP documentation not says nothing about monitoring. :-(

Tuesday, February 20, 2018 10:06 PM

Answers

• When you need to select "Monitor Target", you have to chose "Node" (this is the base class for every network device discovered by SCOM), or another class that is hosted on node; ie. a class representing a specific network device such as "Cisco Router ABCD" (imaginary example), or a component of such a device such as "Cisco router power supply" (still an imaginary example)

It may help you to read more about SCOM's class model : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh457568%28v=sc.12%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
    • Edited by CyrAz Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lacerda Adrecal Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:42 PM
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First , please ensure the  network device resided in "Network Devices" :

Then, select proper "Target" class :

(If that server shows "SNMP" access mode , please try to select "Operations Manger Network SNMP OnlyDevices" )

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 8:38 AM
  • Elton, look this:

Device discovered OK:

My OID information discovered:

Creating monitor:

Error again:

• Edited by Lacerda Adrecal Wednesday, February 21, 2018 12:04 PM change first picture
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 12:03 PM
  • That's not the proper target class, you need to select "Node" or another class that is hosted by a node.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 12:24 PM
  • That's not the proper target class, you need to select "Node" or another class that is hosted by a node.

what? I don't understand. The "node" and "another class that is hosted by a node" information drive me more confused, lol.

• Edited by Lacerda Adrecal Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:22 PM more arguments
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:21 PM
  • When you need to select "Monitor Target", you have to chose "Node" (this is the base class for every network device discovered by SCOM), or another class that is hosted on node; ie. a class representing a specific network device such as "Cisco Router ABCD" (imaginary example), or a component of such a device such as "Cisco router power supply" (still an imaginary example)

It may help you to read more about SCOM's class model : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh457568%28v=sc.12%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
    • Edited by CyrAz Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lacerda Adrecal Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:42 PM
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:28 PM

hehehe 'node' is a class inside target selection. I realized the 'node' was a network node (a network device, like a switch).

Selecting "node" target did the trick. Thank you very much !! :-)

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:42 PM
  • That's not ideal though : your monitor will apply to every SNMP device discovered by SCOM.

The best way would be to find a class specific to your HP device (and hosted by "Node" ;) ), if it exists...

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 1:49 PM
  • That's not ideal though : your monitor will apply to every SNMP device discovered by SCOM.

The best way would be to find a class specific to your HP device (and hosted by "Node" ;) ), if it exists...

Have you worked with HP C7000 Enclosure? Would you know what expressions apply to temperature monitoring for this blade model? The HP documentation is sooooo poor. :-(
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 4:58 PM
  • Well I can't say I have. However I do know that there is an official management pack to monitor HP hardware including blade systems, which uses an intermediary software (hp device monitor console).

More here : http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5390822&docId=emr_na-c04347838&docLocale=en_US

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 5:03 PM
  • Well I can't say I have. However I do know that there is an official management pack to monitor HP hardware including blade systems, which uses an intermediary software (hp device monitor console).

More here : http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5390822&docId=emr_na-c04347838&docLocale=en_US

as I said clearly beforehand the conversation between SCOM and HP through MP is OK (HP OA is OK, MP is OK, HP DMC is OK), the only remaining issue is the creation of this custom monitor. I dont know the correct expression to put at monitor.
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 8:59 PM
  • Ok so what's confusing me is that per the documentation, the native BladeSystem MP already have a "BladeSystem Thermal Subsystem Health Monitor", so I'm not sure of the need for you to author a custom snmp one?

Edit : plus the link to the HPE forum in your first post seems to show that this SNMP probe does not exist on C7000 chassis. Have you checked that it actually exists (with SNMP Tester or some other snmp tool?)

• Edited by CyrAz Friday, February 23, 2018 7:43 AM
    Friday, February 23, 2018 7:06 AM