KMS Server product key failure RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to set up a KMS server for our organization to authenticate our Windows 7 and Office 2010 products using the KMS product keys provided to us via our Campus Agreement Licensing program. When I run the slmgr -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx, (x=product key) I get the following: "Error: 0xC004F050 The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is invalid"

I don’t have a clue what to do now. Any help would be appreciated.

Update: After installing KB968915 to update KMS to recognize Windows 7, I was able to run slmgr -ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx successfully. But now when I run slmgr –ato, I get a new error: Activating Windows Server 2003 KMS, W7R2-kms1 edition (d188820a-cb63-4bad-a9a2-40b843ee23b7) Error: 0Xc004c008 The activation server determined that the specified product key could not be used

Again, any help would be appreciated.

• Changed type Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:20 PM Comment -> Question
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:21 PM Moved to proper forum category (From:Windows Vista Validation Issues (Windows Vista))
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:59 PM

Answers

• Time for the next link then...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee939272.aspx

That's the troubleshooting one.

Just out of curiosity...you aren't putting anything into your Win7 machines for a key right?  Because you don't need to do anything to them other than maybe tell them to try and activate...

cscript slmgr /ato

Also, another thing you might want to watch out for is to ensure that you only have the one KMS host machine up and running.  If you've got more than one then clients are going to essentially pick at random for their KMS host and you many never get enough boxes hitting the one KMS host machine in order for it to start activating clients.

Which brings me to my next point...you do need 25 client machines to hit the KMS host in order for it to activate clients.  The clients will bark that they cannot activate yet (which they cannot) until the KMS host gets to 25.  But you should be able to see in the Log on the Host machine that things are happening or by the command: cscript slmgr /dlv 

NOTE: All commands must be run from an elevated command prompt.

Use the troubleshooting guide to try and find out where you clients are attempting to activate.  KMS can be tricky to configure if you make a few mistakes or assumptions in the beginning.  However, once it is setup and runnng it is very, very low maintenance...practically NO maintenance even.

Mike...
    • Marked as answer by ourcats5 Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:04 PM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:10 AM

All replies

• Looks like you've used that key too many times...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938450

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/8d337607-c37a-4aa8-88ca-79ddfc31cad0/

You may need to call MS to get this problem fixed.

...or...

You could see if you have a Server Class B key and use that as long as you haven't blown up the actiavation on that one too.  A Server Class B key will also activate Windows 7 (and Windows Vista).

Mike...

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:01 PM
  • Thanks for the info. The issue is like a spreading weed. Fix an issue over here and another pops up over there. I now have a working licensed KMS server with a valid activated key code. But none of my current activations are showing in the log. The activation count is still zero after six successful activations on the KMS key code.

Rich

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 11:26 PM
  • Time for the next link then...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee939272.aspx

That's the troubleshooting one.

Just out of curiosity...you aren't putting anything into your Win7 machines for a key right?  Because you don't need to do anything to them other than maybe tell them to try and activate...

cscript slmgr /ato

Also, another thing you might want to watch out for is to ensure that you only have the one KMS host machine up and running.  If you've got more than one then clients are going to essentially pick at random for their KMS host and you many never get enough boxes hitting the one KMS host machine in order for it to start activating clients.

Which brings me to my next point...you do need 25 client machines to hit the KMS host in order for it to activate clients.  The clients will bark that they cannot activate yet (which they cannot) until the KMS host gets to 25.  But you should be able to see in the Log on the Host machine that things are happening or by the command: cscript slmgr /dlv 

NOTE: All commands must be run from an elevated command prompt.

Use the troubleshooting guide to try and find out where you clients are attempting to activate.  KMS can be tricky to configure if you make a few mistakes or assumptions in the beginning.  However, once it is setup and runnng it is very, very low maintenance...practically NO maintenance even.

Mike...
    • Marked as answer by ourcats5 Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:04 PM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:10 AM
  • Thanks Mike. I missed the part of the documentation that states to leave the key code blank. I'm sure it's in there in big bold letters because it is so critical to the process. But once I did that it worked just fine. Now I just have to work on getting past the 25 machine threshold. Thanks again for the assistance.

Rich

Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:36 PM
  • No prob...glad you got it working.

FWIW, Virtual Machines DO go towards your 25 count (as do servers hitting the same KMS host).

Mike...
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:40 PM
  • New issue; Set up a lab with 26 vm's on 26 different machines. All set up exactly the same way. VM's all named differently. First four showed up in slmgr count. 22 did not. No good reason for this. How long does it normally take for the activation to show up on the count? I am wondering if the four count was from yesterdays testing, and maybe none of the 26 vm's is actually authenticating correctly.

Rich

Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Depending on how you built your VM's you could have duplicated the CMID on each one and then your KMS host will think that they are all the same ONE computer and not see them as individual machines.

I believe that info is in the troubleshooting guide I've linked already.

You should be able to run the command:

cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv

That one will give you a wealth of information on each client that you have and may be able to tell you better where the problem exists.

Also, if you type in:

cscript scmgr.vbs /ato

Then it will try to activate to your KMS host immediately...otherwise if you do nothing, it's still going to look fairly soon after it comes up on the network...certainly less than 24 hours later.  Which leads me to think you may have an issue with the CMID on each machine being the same (or more than one KMS host).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793434.aspx

Mike...
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 9:06 PM
  • SLMGR is like any other command...it has several switches.  I agree that you should only run it with the IPK switch on your KMS host...however, SLMGR also has some switches for debugging which are particularly helpful on clients.

To run the command on a client though, you really need an elevated command prompt...so make sure you using it that way.

Then you can use any of the various debugging commands and they should tell you what you need to know in order to get this working.

The -DLI (Display License Information) and -DLV (Display License Verbose) commands are particually helpful.  They'll show you a ton of info...

My concern with your 25 Virtual Machines was that if you cloned them from each other...that the CMID in each of them could be the same and in that case your KMS host is going to treat them as ONE computer and not as individual machines.  If you've built 25 VM's from scratch though, this should not be the case ( or if you properly build and sysprep the machine before deploying it ).

On a client though, there is no need to try and force it to activate...they want to do that on their own...  So in general when you build a fresh install of the W7 OS, if you've setup everything properly your client will just look to DNS and find your KMS host and activate itself w/o you having to do anything.

Mike...
    Friday, July 16, 2010 5:40 PM