none
Resources file too big RRS feed

• Question

• We are a company running around 20-30 projects at any one time. This will mean I will have 20-30 individual programmes. I also have a Resources file. I use this files resources for each of the projects programmes, so I can access our capacity and ability to take a new job. I also have Master programme which includes all current projects as subrojects, so I can easily link manufacturing to avoid over-allocation to a particular resource.

Recently I started having a huge problem as my master programme, and programmes in general are so slow. It takes 10 minutes to open or save changes. My Resource file is 20MB and individual Project programmes as similar size. Master programme is less than 1Mb. I have no idea to why is resource file so large making. I suspect it has to do with thousands of calendars that are somehow created!? I have cleaned ALL copies of the copies of the calendars in all current files we use, but they seem to reappear?!

I have Microsoft Project Pro for Office 365. All files are on our local server. I tried moving all files on my local drive but could hardly notice any difference.

Can someone please help me!

Thursday, September 8, 2016 5:02 AM

All replies

• Most likely file corruption is causing the problem. With linked master files and resource pools, they use old Windows DDE technology which still has bugs.

So if anyone renames, moves or over-writes any of the files, you roll the file corruption dice. In your case twice as you have a master file and pool - 2 sets of links.

You need to unattach all files from master and pool then delete master and pool and recreate. Train users NEVER to rename, move, over-write without first unattaching from master and pool.

Or, create a new unlinked master file each week. This provides a weekly snapshot, copies all data (so no corruption risk) and consolidates resource data for reporting purposes.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book and VBA developer.
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 9:36 PM