Mail Merge RRS feed

• Question

• 3 Questions relating to Mail Merge.  I need to use it to direct print addresses on some 270 fliers I mail monthly.  It's critical I  figure out the solution soon. I know there are some experts out there to lead me thru the desert of my ignorance.

1) I used mail merge with Word 2002/Windows XP without a problem.  How do I transfer the addresses in the SQL (?) data base to Word 2010?

2) Alternatively, I input some addresses into Word 2010/Mail Merge (NOT user friendly) as a test, and then test printed a few.  They printed misaligned.  Any suggestions?

3) Is there an easier way to input the addresses into an address book or data base and then tap into them?

• Moved by Sally Tang Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:04 AM (From:Office 2010 Setup and Deployment)
    Monday, October 25, 2010 1:16 AM

Answers

• The process in Word 2010 is pretty much the same as in Word XP other than that the user interface has changed.  The steps however are the same. Select the type of merge that you want to perform, attach the data source to the document, insert the mergefields in the configuration that you want (do not use the Address Block, it only causes problems), then execute the merge.  In Word 2010, all of this is done via the Mailings tab of the Ribbon.

1.    In the Start Mail Merge section, the Start Mail Merge item is where you select the type of merge that you want to perform

2.    Then in that section of the ribbon, click on the Select Recipients item to attach your data source

3.    In the Write & Insert Fields section of the ribbon, click on the Insert Merge Field item to select and insert the merge fields that you want to use

4.    In the Finish section of the Ribbon, click on Finish & Merge and select the destination to which you want the merge to be executed.

If you get stuck, post back with details of the part of the process with which you are having a problem.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Dale25" wrote in message news:4ef768ec-d57c-4982-8174-f155b73709eb@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

3 Questions relating to Mail Merge.  I need to use it to direct print addresses on some 270 fliers I mail monthly.  It's critical I  figure out the solution soon. I know there are some experts out there to lead me thru the desert of my ignorance.

1) I used mail merge with Word 2002/Windows XP without a problem.  How do I transfer the addresses in the SQL (?) data base to Word 2010?

2) Alternatively, I input some addresses into Word 2010/Mail Merge (NOT user friendly) as a test, and then test printed a few.  They printed misaligned.  Any suggestions?

3) Is there an easier way to input the addresses into an address book or data base and then tap into them?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:40 AM

All replies

• The process in Word 2010 is pretty much the same as in Word XP other than that the user interface has changed.  The steps however are the same. Select the type of merge that you want to perform, attach the data source to the document, insert the mergefields in the configuration that you want (do not use the Address Block, it only causes problems), then execute the merge.  In Word 2010, all of this is done via the Mailings tab of the Ribbon.

1.    In the Start Mail Merge section, the Start Mail Merge item is where you select the type of merge that you want to perform

2.    Then in that section of the ribbon, click on the Select Recipients item to attach your data source

3.    In the Write & Insert Fields section of the ribbon, click on the Insert Merge Field item to select and insert the merge fields that you want to use

4.    In the Finish section of the Ribbon, click on Finish & Merge and select the destination to which you want the merge to be executed.

If you get stuck, post back with details of the part of the process with which you are having a problem.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Dale25" wrote in message news:4ef768ec-d57c-4982-8174-f155b73709eb@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

3 Questions relating to Mail Merge.  I need to use it to direct print addresses on some 270 fliers I mail monthly.  It's critical I  figure out the solution soon. I know there are some experts out there to lead me thru the desert of my ignorance.

1) I used mail merge with Word 2002/Windows XP without a problem.  How do I transfer the addresses in the SQL (?) data base to Word 2010?

3) Is there an easier way to input the addresses into an address book or data base and then tap into them?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:40 AM
  • Doug is correct, however, I'd like to add one more bit.  In the Mailings tab, you can still use the old Mail Merge Wizard if you click the Start Mail Merge dropdown and choose Mail Merge Wizard.  Functions nearly exactly as it did in earlier versions of Word.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks!
    Adrian
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 9:22 PM