How to use CorrectFilePaths shim with GUID (or equivalent) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, i'm trying to use the CorrectFilePaths shim with a folder GUID but I wasn't able to find documentation on how to crate a rule with GUID using the compatibility administrator, basically, i'm trying to correct a path going on software's folder to ::{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}\{4C5C32FF-BB9D-43b0-B5B4-2D72E54EAAA4}.

If it's impossible, what equivalent do we have to ::{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}\{4C5C32FF-BB9D-43b0-B5B4-2D72E54EAAA4} ? Using hard path isn't okay for this situation. (something starting by X:\ or using %USERPROFILE% as base is invalid, the users are allowed to change the folder's location, meaning the folder isn't necessarily inside %USERPROFILE% root) 

Regards

Monday, February 9, 2015 3:07 PM

All replies

• Hello Magissia,

What application do you use to apply CorrectFilePath-shim?

Please take a look at the following thread about the path.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/65e06954-55ae-4a84-8216-4e247889259a/issue-with-correctfilepath-shim?forum=w7itproappcompat

Try add the paht into "" like this:
    ""C:\Program .......log";C:\Logfiles"

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 13, 2015 8:54 AM
  • Hello, for now I only used the Compatibility Administrator (32 bits) and used the "test run" button with procmon on second monitor to check if everything is correct.

Using paths that starts by "something dot back slash" defeat the whole process of what i'm doing as some user have their profile on system drive and others on the secondary hard drive. using hard path is forbidden to me. It was specified in the question. Environment variable are not precise enough to be used, only GUID where found to always point to the correct folder with 0% miss while using stone-age %USERPROFILE%\<folder here> miss 1/4 of the time because the users may have this folder on another drive that their user profile root.

Friday, February 13, 2015 12:59 PM
  • You can use the variables the following blog mentioned, some of them are fixed.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cjacks/archive/2007/10/15/using-the-correctfilepaths-shim-to-redirect-files-on-windows-vista.aspx

When you install using sdbinst, we generate a guid and place a properly registered copy in there - you shouldn't have to ever put something there manually.

If it's working shimmed on one machine, but not on another, then clearly there is a difference between the two machines that is causing the failure. Perhaps PCA has applied some other shim, perhaps the ACLs are set differently - you'll need to research what is going on. If you're using CorrectFilePaths, perhaps you're redirecting to a location that doesn't exist on that box, and it's just causing a different failure. Try using ProcMon to see what is going on.

Fangzhou CHEN
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 10:02 AM
  • Thanks for your inerest, but the env variables listed are not enough as the folder may be outside of the root of the env variable, I stated from start that %userprofile% wouldn't make it.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 11:30 AM
  • Hi ,

CorrectFilePaths enables you to modify an existing file path. Is this ::{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}\{4C5C32FF-BB9D-43b0-B5B4-2D72E54EAAA4} a Saved gam folder? Is moving the user profile path a workaround?

Please check the following link. Thanks.

Using the CorrectFilePaths Fix
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766201(v=ws.10).aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by HuAaron Saturday, February 28, 2015 8:22 AM
    Saturday, February 28, 2015 8:21 AM