Placement of application Catalog Web Service Point RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking for advice on the placement of the Application Catalog Web Service Point within an environment. 

I have a large number of clients and users, enough that we are going to offload the Application Catalog to another server.  The question comes around the Web Service Point role.  From a performance standpoint, is it better to install the Web Service Point on the "Primary Site" (close to the Database) or offload it to the same server running the Website Point?

From an application development perspective, I feel like it would benefit from being closer to the database, but I've read a lot of people just co-locating these roles on the same server as well.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:52 PM

Answers

• Microsoft has now added a "TIP" to the supported configuration pages about this now.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx

"As a best practice, install the Application Catalog website point and Application Catalog web service point together on the same site system when they provide service to clients that are on the intranet."

• Marked as answer by Beamer25 Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:40 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:40 PM

All replies

• There's no one-fits-all answer IMHO, plus we don't know specific details about your environment. You could start with co-locating both on the same machine and move roles if you would experience poor performance.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Thanks Torsten.  I was hoping some folks had some real experience with these two roles in play at large corporations to share details from.

We'll have ~30K users connecting in to this instance, ~60K computers right now.  Primary site has most of the roles offloaded to other servers or virtuals for load balancing.

In the end - it comes down to the internals of speed of the webservice connecting to the remote database OR the website connecting to the webservice for data.  In my head, I've gone back and forth on what would be most logical from an application design.  Typically when we (as application designers) build web services, we put them close to the database, and then implement applciations to connect to the webservice from a remote application.  I had assumed I'd go that route (Webservice on Primary and then Website on remote server) - but wasn't sure if that was what most folks had done. 

I was trying to remember back to MMS as to what Microsoft had done, but could only find them talking about offloading the "application catalog" without reference to the webservice point.

If MSFT or you have any other thoughts, let me.  I may start with seperated roles, and see how the performance is - I was just hoping to get some thoughts since no one wants to realize AFTER user's complain that performance is bad.

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Microsoft has now added a "TIP" to the supported configuration pages about this now.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx

"As a best practice, install the Application Catalog website point and Application Catalog web service point together on the same site system when they provide service to clients that are on the intranet."

• Marked as answer by Beamer25 Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:40 PM
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:40 PM