IAG2007 DHCP system event log warnings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We seem to have repeated warnings in the system event log pertaining to DHCP.  The problem is related to the IAG's virtual NIC

Whenever I check it it does indeed seem to have the correct IP address assigned (first in the network connector DHCP pool) but it concerns me that there are a lot of system event log entries for this and that it may affect user experience?

The system event log entry details are as follows;

Source: DHCP

Event ID : 1003

Description : Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00FF08011947.  The following error occurred: 

The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Is this normal for IAG ?  Our old e-Gap3.6 server shows the same thing (but evidently works ok)

Monday, May 31, 2010 9:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Erin. In my experience, is a message that can be safely ignored. If you take a look at the Network Connector NIC you will see that is configured to automatically obtain IP Address so I guess the operating system tries to renew the IP on a regular basis. However, the assignment is not done by a DHCP server (in fact, the address range should be excluded from DHCP in case it exists in the network) but by the Network Connector Service at it seems that it does only at startup and is not aware of the regular attempts to renew the addresses. This is just my perception. It should be confirmed by Microsoft support.

Hope it helps

// Raúl - I love this game
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:54 PM
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:34 AM

All replies

• Hi Erin. In my experience, is a message that can be safely ignored. If you take a look at the Network Connector NIC you will see that is configured to automatically obtain IP Address so I guess the operating system tries to renew the IP on a regular basis. However, the assignment is not done by a DHCP server (in fact, the address range should be excluded from DHCP in case it exists in the network) but by the Network Connector Service at it seems that it does only at startup and is not aware of the regular attempts to renew the addresses. This is just my perception. It should be confirmed by Microsoft support.

Hope it helps

// Raúl - I love this game
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:54 PM
    Tuesday, June 1, 2010 10:34 AM
  • Thanks again Raúl, I guess I'll just ignore it since it doesn't appear to cause a problem.  I was mainly curious as to whether others had the same thing or if it was just us!

:)

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 1:51 PM