none
Set SQL to Full or Simple? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been setting my SharePoint databases to Simple recovery mode because when set to Full I occaisonally run out of disk space. Now I realize that in Simple mode I can't get the incrmental restore points, only when the last full backup was done.  Im am not a DBA :) and we don't have one in house, is there a better way to manage them in Full so I don't run out of disk space?
    Friday, November 16, 2012 2:37 PM

All replies

• I have confirmed that TruncateSharePointDbLogs is set to True. 

It does not appear that this feature is working though if I have the issue of the log using all of the free disk space.

Monday, November 19, 2012 9:16 PM
  • Hi R2SS,

Could you tell me if you are using DPM2012 ? If yes, did you apply RU3 (DPM 2012 RU3 has introduced a spelling mistake in SQL Store Procedure leading to dysfonction of Sharepoint Catalog task => DPMDB & Log get very large ) ?

If you are working with DPM 2010, you should consider to increase the number of your Express Full backup to contain log's growth.

Stephane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:51 AM
  • It is DPM 2010.

So I think you are saying that with each full backup it will automatically truncate the log.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:58 PM
  • Hi,

If TruncateSharePointDbLogs is set to true, full backup will truncate SQL logs => this is normal behaviour.

By increasing the number of full backup you will avoid your log getting bloated.

See post provide by Jérémy and answer of Mike: "SQL does not resize the log file after a backup.  So basically the solution for you is to shrink the current log file then take more frequent express full backups so SQL can mark the transactions committed more frequently, and thus prevent log growth.   The size that the log file gets is determined by:  A) The amount of activity of the SQL DB. ,and B) the amount of time before it gets backed up."

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

My DPM blog Yet Another DPM Blog

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:20 PM