none
DPM 2012 - No disks listed under Management>Disks RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DPM 2012 server which has a 5-disk RAID 5 setup.  When DPM was installed the storage pool was allocated to this RAID 5 array (which in Disk Management is listed as Disk 4).  DPM was configured to grow the storage pool automatically (so there are multiple volumes on Disk 4 created by DPM)  There is also un-allocated space at the end of Disk 4 (which DPM uses to grow the storage pool)

I am receiving the following error in DPM:

The used disk space on the computer running DPM for the replica of Volume E:\ has exceeded the threshold value of 90%, or there is not enough disk space to accommodate the changed data. If you do not allocate more disk space, synchronization jobs may fail. (ID 3100)

I attempted to allocate more storage space for the replica manually I am presented with the following error:

There is insufficient space on the storage pool disks to allocate the replica and recovery point volumes

Add more disks to the storage pool by using the Disks tab in the Management task area, or reduce the specified allocations

ID: 171

When I go into Management on DPM I do not see any disks listed.

Yesterday I had a fellow admin extend a disk in Disk Management (Disk 1), and turned it into a spanned disk using some of the un-allocated space on Disk 4 (the DPM disk). 

I am wondering if this is the reason behind my issues.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

No - please open a support case for further troubleshooting.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:20 PM

All replies

• Hi

<snip>
    When I go into Management on DPM I do not see any disks listed.
    >snip<

What happens if you try to add disk 4 back into the DPM Storage pool ?

Start the DPM power shell - then run these series of command, then copy / paste the output in this thread.

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> get-dpmdisk dpm-server-name
       ...OUTPUT IS RETURNED..

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> diskpart.exe

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7600
    Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
    On computer: LC2-DPMLIB1

DISKPART> list disk
       ... OUTPUT IS RETURNED ...

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...
    PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin>

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 3, 2013 1:23 PM
  • When I attempt to add the disk back to the storage pool, It will list Disk 2 and Disk 3 as available disks, but does not list Disk 4.

get-dpmdisk dpm-server-name:

Name          Status            NtDisk Id Total Capaci Unallocated  Type
                                                       ty        Space
    ----          ------            -------- ------------ ------------ ----
    HP LOGICAL... Healthy                  2       600 GB         0 GB Basic
    HP LOGICAL... Healthy                  3        64 GB         0 GB Basic

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
      --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
      Disk 0    Online           59 GB      0 B
      Disk 1    Online          500 GB      0 B   *
      Disk 2    Online          600 GB      0 B
      Disk 3    Online           64 GB      0 B
      Disk 4    Online         7451 GB  3906 GB   *    *

Thank  you,

Friday, May 3, 2013 8:38 PM
  • Friday, May 3, 2013 8:39 PM
  • Hi,

Spanning a volume onto the DPM Storage pool disk should not cause any problems, it just means there is less space for DPM to use. I tried it in my lab to be certain, and did not have any issues with the DPM disks showing in the GUI or being listed in the get-dpmdisk command after spanning a volume onto one of my DPM disks.

So the million dollar question is why isn't DPM listing any dynamic disks when you run a get-dpmdisk - it's only listing basic disks - that is not normal.

1) Close down the DPM Powershell windws and open a new one, then run get-dpmdisk dpmservername
    2) Look in C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Temp and open the msdpmcurr.errlog and at the very bottom, see if there are any errors while enumerating the disks.

Friday, May 3, 2013 10:02 PM
  • I ran the get-dpmdisk command, and then looked at the msdpmcurr.errlog.  I was not sure what to look for in the error log regarding errors enumerating disks, the lines that I have are:

1CA0	0B64	05/06	12:47:07.181	09	serviceutils.cpp(537)		AC82583F-F713-4D01-A7D1-5F870516F433	WARNING	Caught Dls exception: Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Utils.NotEnoughSpaceException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.Utils.NotEnoughSpaceException' was thrown.
    1CA0	0B64	05/06	12:47:07.181	09	serviceutils.cpp(537)		AC82583F-F713-4D01-A7D1-5F870516F433	WARNING	   at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.StoragePoolManager.StoragePoolManager.DisksReservationForSingleVolume(UInt64 ullSizeUnreserved, ArrayList disksSpannedForVolume, ArrayList sizesSpannedForVolume, ArrayList diskArray)
    1CA0	0B64	05/06	12:47:07.181	09	serviceutils.cpp(537)		AC82583F-F713-4D01-A7D1-5F870516F433	WARNING	   at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.StoragePoolManager.StoragePoolManager.DisksReservationOnGrowSimple(VolumeInput[] volumeRequirements, ArrayList diskArray, ArrayList[] usedDisks, ArrayList[] disksSpanned, ArrayList[] sizesSpanned)
    1CA0	0B64	05/06	12:47:07.181	09	serviceutils.cpp(537)		AC82583F-F713-4D01-A7D1-5F870516F433	WARNING	   at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.StoragePoolManager.StoragePoolManager.DisksReservationOnGrow(Guid volumeSetID, VolumeInput[] volRequirements, ArrayList[] disksSpanned, ArrayList[] sizesSpanned, Volume[] volumeArray, Boolean isComplex)
    1CA0	0B64	05/06	12:47:07.181	09	serviceutils.cpp(537)		AC82583F-F713-4D01-A7D1-5F870516F433	WARNING	   at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.StoragePoolManager.StoragePoolManager.GrowReplicaSetVolumes(Guid volumeSetID, VolumeInput[] volumeRequirements)
    1CA0	0B64	05/06	12:47:07.181	09	serviceutils.cpp(537)		AC82583F-F713-4D01-A7D1-5F870516F433	WARNING	   at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.StoragePoolManager.StoragePoolManager.ResizeReplicaSetVolumes(Guid volumeSetID, VolumeInput[] volumeRequirements)
    1CA0	0B64	05/06	12:47:07.181	09	serviceutils.cpp(537)		AC82583F-F713-4D01-A7D1-5F870516F433	WARNING	   at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.StoragePoolManager.StoragePoolManager.ResizeVolumesLocal(Gui

Monday, May 6, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Any ideas?
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:07 PM
  • Hi,

No - please open a support case for further troubleshooting.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 5:20 PM
  • did you end up sorting this issue, I have the same problem at the moment.
    Friday, September 20, 2013 5:20 AM