configure Word / SharePoint "Check Out Required" banner ?? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings -

Our company just implemented Office 2010 from 2003.  Sadly, there are many thing not to like about the changes, but #1 on my hate-list is the Check Out Required banner.

Is it possible to lose the obnoxious, unnecessary, DISTRACTING yellow banner that pops up every time one opens or checks-in a SharePoint document?  What's *particularly* annoying is that when one checks in a document, the banner reappears.

Anyone who's used Word/SharePoint for more than a day ALREADY KNOWS that one needs to check out a document before it can be modified (hence the (wonderfully subtle/discreet) [Read-Only] note in the Title bar).

Honestly, it's like being asked if one wants pablum pre-chewed before being offered a spoonful.

<exhaling, breathing & heart rates returning to normal>

So -- can it be turned off?

Insight welcome.

Thanks kindly,

- Richard

Friday, October 19, 2012 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Richard,

Could you be more specific? Such as what message did you get?

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Max Meng Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:15 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 9:57 AM
  • Hello Max,

Users at my organization have been experiencing the same issue that Richard faced above. Our users will download a document from one of the libraries on our Sharepoint 2010 site and then (in which ever office program they are using) they will see the “Check out required…” banner at the top. Our users have read only access to all of the documents in this library so they are unable to check out these documents.

Our users will see the checkout button at the top of their document, click it, and follow the prompts until eventually getting an error due to that they have read only permissions. I would like to make it so that the “Check out required…” banner does not show up for users with read only permissions.

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you,

-Kyle

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 5:29 PM