vista to xp RRS feed

• Question

• I have a laptop with windows vista on it.   I want to remove vista and install xp.  windows 7 is not an option.  I have been told by a service representative that in order for my hard drive to work I need to install a patch.  He then told me he could do the job for 400 dollars.  too much money for me.  Is there ant truth to this patch needed or is he trying to pad the bill.  Also is there any additional problems I will run into.  Thanks in advance.
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 5:39 AM

Answers

• EVERYONE THINKS XP IS OLD AND OUTDATED...Newer is not always better, especially if you don't have the money to buy it. If you can boot from the cd, XP will work just fine by itself. However, if this is an upgrade disk, or if you try to launch setup from inside of vista, it will not work... If setup runs from the cd to the three choices I mentioned earlier, THEN HANGS in the second portion of setup where you choose the partition(s), you will have to start all over by booting from the cd again, and CHOOSING THE SECOND OPTION TO USE THE RECOVERY CONSOLE.

This will go to a black screen, load keyboard drivers, then ask you which windows installation you would like to logon to... Usually this is 1 c:\windows. Type 1, press enter, then enter an administrator password if you are asked for it. If there is no selections to choose from,  just press enter twice. If you don't know the password, sometimes pressing enter will work anyways... YOU SHOULD NOW SEE A COMMAND PROMPT, SOMETHING LIKE ( C:\WINDOWS>_   ) Type /? to see a list of commands the recovery console is capable of, and type (command name ) /? to see a brief description of the commands function and any possible switches you can use to modify it with.

FIRST I WOULD USE THE MAP COMMAND, TO HAVE THE CONSOLE REFRESH THE AVAILABLE DRIVES AND PARTITIONS IT WILL BE WORKING WITH... Just type map at the prompt and press enter. The console should list all available drives including cd\dvd drives. Then  type diskpart to enter the partioning tool. commands inside of diskpart are sequential, so be sure to enter them in the form of : DISKPART SELECT DISK (#) , SELECT PARTITION (#),  DELETE  PARTITION (#), AND TYPE y WHEN IT WARNS YOU THAT DELETING THE PARTITION THAT ALL INFORMATION ON THAT PARTITION WIL BE DESTROYED and press enter. THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO  CREATE A PARTITION, CHOOSE THE SIZE, AND  FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. ALSO, while inside of diskpart, you may have to delete any other partitions and any logical drives they may contain also in order to delete the primary partition for that drive. Then be certain to mark the newly created partition as active before exiting diskpart then run setup again by pressing any key to boot from the cd...  and this time running setup option #1 and choosing to install xp on the unformatted partition you had just created a few minutes ago. Setup will offer to format the partition, then you will be about an hour away from your new installations welcome screens depending upon the speed of your computer...DO NOT press any key to  boot from the cd the second time your computer starts by itself, and be sure to remove the cd physically from the drive before the third  re-boot or you may not see the welcome screens at all... and get stuck in an endless setup loop on certain machines... If you succeed, when you are actually inside of windows later, make certain to click on the start menu, click all programs, click accessories, click system tools, click system restore, and choose to CREATE A RESTORE POINT, with a label you will recognize later like "FRESH XP INSTALLED" OR SOMETHING SUCH... Then down the road later on if something gets wrong and windows won't start by itself, you can choose to start windows in safe mode by pressing and holding the f-8 key right after the bootup screen goes away, But BEFORE the Microsoft XP screen shows up- if it does, you missed your chance to see the advanced boot menu- and when windows does start in safe mode, you will have the choice of either continuing to work in safe mode, or using system restore to restore your system to this (or a more recent) configuration. =)

NTauthority-local
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you try to install Windows 7, as it is much easy to install than Windows XP. Most of the Laptop if work on Vista work for Windows 7 also.

Hope you find the info useful
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 5:34 AM
  • laptop only came with 1 gig of ram everything run slow.  I have an oem version of windows xp that was bought as gift-- that is why I said windows 7 not an option

Sunday, August 15, 2010 8:06 AM
  • iF YOU HAVE THE XP CD, YOU WILL NEED TO  BOOT FROM IT TO BE ABLE TO OVER-WRITE VISTA ON THE HARD DRIVE... after xp has loaded all the various drivers will be a screen with three choices: 1-start windows setup, 2-repair an existing installation using the recovery console, and 3- exit set up. Choose the start windows setup, enter the product key where necessary, then, when  you get to choose the drive and partition to run setup on,  you must delete the existing partition(s) or else you will not be able to over-write vista at all... And, since you had vista on it, and you were able to access it then, you are capable of reading and using the hard drive, so no, YOU DO NOT NEED A PATCH!!! PLEASE REFER YOUR LAPTOP TO A MORE REPUTABLE REPAIR PERSON. WHOEVER THIS SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE IS REPRESENTING  NEEDS TO BE INFORMED OF DECEPTIVE BUSINESS PRACTICES BY ONE OF THEIR ASSOCIATES!!!   GOOD LUCK, AND IF YOU STILL HAVE PROBLEMS, RE-POST AND I'LL GET BACK TO YOU =)

NTauthority-local
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:36 AM
  • EVERYONE THINKS XP IS OLD AND OUTDATED...Newer is not always better, especially if you don't have the money to buy it. If you can boot from the cd, XP will work just fine by itself. However, if this is an upgrade disk, or if you try to launch setup from inside of vista, it will not work... If setup runs from the cd to the three choices I mentioned earlier, THEN HANGS in the second portion of setup where you choose the partition(s), you will have to start all over by booting from the cd again, and CHOOSING THE SECOND OPTION TO USE THE RECOVERY CONSOLE.

This will go to a black screen, load keyboard drivers, then ask you which windows installation you would like to logon to... Usually this is 1 c:\windows. Type 1, press enter, then enter an administrator password if you are asked for it. If there is no selections to choose from,  just press enter twice. If you don't know the password, sometimes pressing enter will work anyways... YOU SHOULD NOW SEE A COMMAND PROMPT, SOMETHING LIKE ( C:\WINDOWS>_   ) Type /? to see a list of commands the recovery console is capable of, and type (command name ) /? to see a brief description of the commands function and any possible switches you can use to modify it with.

FIRST I WOULD USE THE MAP COMMAND, TO HAVE THE CONSOLE REFRESH THE AVAILABLE DRIVES AND PARTITIONS IT WILL BE WORKING WITH... Just type map at the prompt and press enter. The console should list all available drives including cd\dvd drives. Then  type diskpart to enter the partioning tool. commands inside of diskpart are sequential, so be sure to enter them in the form of : DISKPART SELECT DISK (#) , SELECT PARTITION (#),  DELETE  PARTITION (#), AND TYPE y WHEN IT WARNS YOU THAT DELETING THE PARTITION THAT ALL INFORMATION ON THAT PARTITION WIL BE DESTROYED and press enter. THEN YOU WILL HAVE TO  CREATE A PARTITION, CHOOSE THE SIZE, AND  FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. ALSO, while inside of diskpart, you may have to delete any other partitions and any logical drives they may contain also in order to delete the primary partition for that drive. Then be certain to mark the newly created partition as active before exiting diskpart then run setup again by pressing any key to boot from the cd...  and this time running setup option #1 and choosing to install xp on the unformatted partition you had just created a few minutes ago. Setup will offer to format the partition, then you will be about an hour away from your new installations welcome screens depending upon the speed of your computer...DO NOT press any key to  boot from the cd the second time your computer starts by itself, and be sure to remove the cd physically from the drive before the third  re-boot or you may not see the welcome screens at all... and get stuck in an endless setup loop on certain machines... If you succeed, when you are actually inside of windows later, make certain to click on the start menu, click all programs, click accessories, click system tools, click system restore, and choose to CREATE A RESTORE POINT, with a label you will recognize later like "FRESH XP INSTALLED" OR SOMETHING SUCH... Then down the road later on if something gets wrong and windows won't start by itself, you can choose to start windows in safe mode by pressing and holding the f-8 key right after the bootup screen goes away, But BEFORE the Microsoft XP screen shows up- if it does, you missed your chance to see the advanced boot menu- and when windows does start in safe mode, you will have the choice of either continuing to work in safe mode, or using system restore to restore your system to this (or a more recent) configuration. =)

NTauthority-local
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:48 AM