When was the Approved Updates Installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to find the date/time when update(s) were install on certain PCs. 

I approved 4 updates on April/10 targeting a certain group in WSUS.

The GPO for that group is set as follows which means the install will trigger on April/12 Friday at 8:00pm approx?

What I have noticed that some of the PC's in this WSUS group have 2 updates already installed and other two show the status Downloaded.  I am thinking the status should be Downloaded for ALL 4 updates and the install should trigger based on the GPO on April/12 around 8:00pm.

See below..

I am trying to find the date/time when these 2 updates were installed and why before the specified date/time in GPO?

Thank you

• Edited by WildPacket Friday, April 12, 2019 3:06 PM
    Friday, April 12, 2019 2:44 PM

Answers

• Hi WildPacket,

Thank you for posting here.

The GPO for that group is set as follows which means the install will trigger on April/12 Friday at 8:00pm approx?

I noticed that in the client policy report you provided, 'Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation' is Enable. If the status is set to Enabled, Automatic Updates will immediately install these updates once they are downloaded and ready to install. As expected, it is recommended to change this policy to 'Not Configured'.

I am trying to find the date/time when these 2 updates were installed and why before the specified date/time in GPO?

In addition, if you need to query the update installation of this machine, you can use PowerShell commands such as 'get-wmiobject -class win32_quickfixengineering'; To query the update installation of other machines, you can use the 'PsExec tool'.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by WildPacket Wednesday, April 24, 2019 4:11 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2019 2:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If it is for any update deployed to any machine, to get that kind of data from all the machines, you'll need to do an Inventory task against the machines.  Once you have inventoried the machines you care about, you'd run a report (WSUS Reports -> Windows Update -> Windows Update Agent History).

Please refer the below blog

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/115161

Option 1:
    You could group by the Title (windows update history) column header (if you are looking for a particular update) and then expand the update title name that you care about to see all the installation task items for that update.    To group that way, grab the column header itself and drag it slightly up to the dark grey area right above the column headers.

Option : 2

You could group by the Update Operation (Friendly Name)Result Code (Friendly Name) fields in that order and then Sort by the Date (Windows Update History) column.  Then you could sort by the Date (Windows Update History) column to see the newest ones first.

Friday, April 12, 2019 2:54 PM
  • Thank you but I don't have that tool mentioned in your provided link.
    Friday, April 12, 2019 5:17 PM
  • Hi WildPacket,

Thank you for posting here.

I noticed that in the client policy report you provided, 'Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation' is Enable. If the status is set to Enabled, Automatic Updates will immediately install these updates once they are downloaded and ready to install. As expected, it is recommended to change this policy to 'Not Configured'.

In addition, if you need to query the update installation of this machine, you can use PowerShell commands such as 'get-wmiobject -class win32_quickfixengineering'; To query the update installation of other machines, you can use the 'PsExec tool'.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by WildPacket Wednesday, April 24, 2019 4:11 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2019 2:32 AM
  • Thank you Yic for pointing out the settings in the GPO. I have set it to not configured now. 

I will monitor the installation behavior for now and then update!

Monday, April 15, 2019 1:21 PM
  • Hi,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

Friday, April 19, 2019 6:27 AM