none
SharePoint List or SQL Database

Question

•  We are designing a solution for our customer site.

We in decision making phase weather to use lists or SQL database tables.

We got this reference suggesting to SQL database when data is too much: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff647105.aspx

But this pertains to SP 2007.

Is this information still valid? We don't to end up stuck in performance limitations coming from CAML queries and list structure.

Any assistance in that would be appreciated.

Shahid Roofi

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Shahid Roofi, 

Is the solution is going to have large number of transactions? If yes, suggestion is to get into you SQL Database. Handling large number of transactions is still arguable subject in sharepoint. 

I would recommend you to explore SQL Azure and Web App Services for the customer site. 

If you can elaborate more on the business needs, i may able to share my thoughts on that. 

Thanks Jegan

Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:40 AM
  • Hi,

The limitation number of items has increased to 5000 for each list in SharePoint 2013. Other information in the article you provided is still valid.

If your custom solution manipulates large number data over 5000, I suggest you use SQL database instead of SharePoint list.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Shruti Raturi Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:43 PM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:43 AM
  • Hi,
    Is there any update?
    If my reply is helpful to you, you can mark as answer.
    Thanks,
    Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 11:20 AM