none
Project site templates missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

After migration from Project Server 2013 to 2016 (16.0.4690.1000) we found a strange bug: Project sites are not provisioned automatically after publishing newly created project.

And we can't even create site manually from Connected Sharepoint Sites page:

After some digging I found that there are no any available project site templates in Enterprise Project Type Detail page:

Moreover, in Central Administration - Project Web Apps - <MyPWA> - Manage - Project Site Provisioning Settings there are empty Default site template language dropdown list:

- this is happened only on 2 of our 10 migrated PWAs. There is only thing that differs on that 2 PWAs from others: they are both consist of more than 1000 projects.

- Sharepoint Server Publishing Infrastructre site collection feature is activated on "bugged" and "good" sites, so it is not a reason

- Saved project site templates are present in Solutions gallery.

- I can successfully create new project site on default Project site template from Site Contents - New subsite.

But I need to make default settings with automatic project site provisioning work.

Any help are appreciated!

Thursday, June 14, 2018 11:58 PM

Answers

• Hey Lehus,

I also had the issue of missing project site templates and missing default site template language when I created a new instance of PWA, shortly after upgrading from 2013 - 2016. I discovered that disabling and re-enabling the pwa site feature fixed this issue. I assume that something was not provisioned correctly during the initial enabling of the pwa site feature. Try the following cmdlets to see if they resolve your issue:

Disable-SPFeature pwasite -URL http://yourserver/pwapath

then:

Enable-SPFeature pwasite -URL http://yourserver/pwapath

• Marked as answer by Lehus Sunday, November 18, 2018 4:00 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2018 1:47 PM

All replies

• We have migrated our solution and we face the same issue. Moreover Project Site Provisioning Settings and Bulk Update Connected SharePoint Sites are showing errors.

Any update on this.

Regards

Tanzim Akhtar

Thursday, November 1, 2018 2:15 PM
  • When testing and upgrading the databases using PowerShell (what kind of errors and warning did you get.

test-SPSite

Test-SPContentDatabase

Test-SPProjectWebInstance

Test-SPProjectServiceApplication

Mount-SPContentDatabase

UPgrade-SPCOntentDatabase

Michael Wharton, Project MVP, MBA, PMP and a Great Guy <br/> Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com <br/> Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Thursday, November 1, 2018 4:34 PM
  • No we didn't find any errors while migrating. In fact everything is working fine except the SharePoint part. We are not able to create any new projects, although all the previous projects are working perfectly fine along with the Project Site Template.

Regards

Tanzim Akhtar

Friday, November 2, 2018 10:26 AM
  • I had some warnings during the migration process, but all of those are related to features that are not available in 2016 anymore, like Excel Services etc. Warnings only, not Blocking errors.

For now:

Test-SPSite gives me

PassedCount        : 6
    FailedWarningCount : 1
    FailedErrorCount   : 0

but the only Warning is related to /Project Documents/Forms/template.doc file in project sites (PWA was initially created at PS2010, and sites has old template.doc obviously)

Test-SPContentDatabase gives me the same kind of non-upgrade blocking warnings about features that not available anymore:

- File [Features\ReportServer\ReportViewer.dwp] is referenced, but is not installed on the current farm
    - File [SiteTemplates\BICENTERSITE\mossbisample.aspx] is referenced, but exists only under Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 setup folder
    - File [SiteTemplates\BICENTERSITE\ppssample.aspx] is referenced, but exists only under Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 setup folder.
    - WebPart class [Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.ExcelWebRenderer] is referenced, but is not installed on the current farm

Test-SPProjectWebInstance gives me two warnings:

- The ProjectBICenters have missing lists
    - The projects are missing the workspace webs

which again, is obvious, because some project sites were not provisioned after projects has been published; and ProjectBICenter didn't exist in 2010, when PWA was initially created.

Test-SPProjectServiceApplication tests all has been passed with no warnings.

I'm also done dismount\mount content DB via Dismount-SPContentDatabase and Mount-SPContentDatabase. All has been done without any warnings\errors.

I want to remind, that all of these warnings above are exists even in "good" site collections and it does not prevent them from working -normally-.

So for now, I have not clue what else I can do. Your help, Michael is very appreciated.

• Edited by Lehus Friday, November 2, 2018 11:23 AM
    Friday, November 2, 2018 11:21 AM
  • I didn't find any errors. I ran all the powershell listed.

Regards

Tanzim Akhtar

Saturday, November 3, 2018 10:18 AM
  • Your case only confirms that my warnings does not relate the main problem
    Saturday, November 3, 2018 10:32 AM
  • Hey Lehus,

I also had the issue of missing project site templates and missing default site template language when I created a new instance of PWA, shortly after upgrading from 2013 - 2016. I discovered that disabling and re-enabling the pwa site feature fixed this issue. I assume that something was not provisioned correctly during the initial enabling of the pwa site feature. Try the following cmdlets to see if they resolve your issue:

Disable-SPFeature pwasite -URL http://yourserver/pwapath

then:

Enable-SPFeature pwasite -URL http://yourserver/pwapath

• Marked as answer by Lehus Sunday, November 18, 2018 4:00 PM
    Friday, November 16, 2018 1:47 PM
  • Hi, Eric!

I've tried this on my test farm and it worked.

Next week I'll try to do this on production farm, but I can conclude that your proposal is the solution.

This bug can be solved, finally. Thank you!

Sunday, November 18, 2018 4:00 PM