none
Saved search and search on search results in FS4SP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just wanted to know whether FS4SP supports Saved search and search on search results? Is there any OOB webpart available.If not please advice on how to implement these two.

Thanks in Advance,

Rush

Monday, July 11, 2011 11:44 AM

All replies

• Hi rush,

It's not available oob.

See this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fastsharepoint/thread/fb074c9c-379d-4da0-b50f-0a90f40fb3cc

Search within a search result is just adding more keywords or refinements to the existing query. No need to save the result set, and search within it specifically. Or do you have some other concept in mind? Searching in a saved result set?

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/
    Monday, July 11, 2011 12:14 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I just wanted to implement both separately.I mean i need search within search as well as saved search, could youplease explain the point "Search within a search result is just adding more keywords or refinements to the existing query" as i'm pretty new to FASt for sharepoint.

Thanks in advance,

Rush

Monday, July 11, 2011 12:42 PM
  • Hi Rush,

If you search for example: "red car" and this yields 20 results. You then want to search within these results with the word "cool rims", which might return 5 results.

This would be the same as to execute the search: "red car cool rims". Ans this is how you would do search within search. Instead of saving the first result set, and searching only that with the new term, you execute a narrower query on the whole search index.

Of course there are things to consider. If you append the new terms, then once time goes on you will also get new results coming in, not only those which you saved at some point in time.

If you truly only want to search on the original result, then you would have to save all the document id's and limit on those with the added words. Something like:

"cool rims ANY(id:1 id:4 id:6 etc....)"

where you OR on all the original result id's. If you returned a large result set to begin with, this would be a long OR filter and could impact performance.

This is not FAST specific, but architecture on search solutions :) Hope this helps you somewhat along the way

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    Friday, July 15, 2011 7:59 PM
  • Hi Mikael, I have a comment about "search within"

I'm not sure "red car cool rims" is the same as searching for "cool rims" within the first results, because of relevancy ranking.  Imagine if there's a document titled "red car," it may go to the top of the first result, but another document titled "cool rims" that mentions red car would be further down.  In your search-within, I think you would want the document titled "cool rims" to come to the top, because it is more relevant for the second search.  In other words, the terms of the first search should become non-relevant filters for the second search, like this in FQL:

string("cool rims") filter("red car")

Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:03 PM
  • Hi

I have question on Saved Search. are you talking about alet functionality in search?. On the other way,  I implemented  for one of the customer by extending the Search Action webpart just  addded Save button, which saved the search query in List with his account  and when he comes to search center second time, the saved query displayed in Drop down. Either he can select the saved query and execute the search .

Sriram S

Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:21 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Very good point indeed! Guess my approach was a bit too simplistic, and doing it the way you propose is not that much extra work. But using filter() will also turn off lemmatization, so doing

and(string("cool rims"), string("red car", weight=0))

would solve it, and I'll surely keep this in mind if I get a search within search request from a customer :)

Thanks,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/MCT
    Author of Working with FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint

Thursday, May 17, 2012 7:39 PM