Office 2013 sequencing recipes for App-v 5.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to create a sequence package for Microsoft Office 2013 in App-v 5.0 . I got some information about Deployment Tool Click To Run.

But I need proper sequencing method of Office 2013.

Could anyone please help me on this.

Thanks in Advance.

• Moved by David WoltersModerator Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:49 PM questions do not belong in the recipe forum
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• Have you seen this Springboard Blog post "MDOP 2013 R2 Deep Dive, Virtualizing Microsoft Office for Application Virtualization (App-V) 5.0"? There are many articles linked in that post that should help you with this.

Hope this helps,

David

Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:56 PM
  • Starting from App-V 5.0 SP2, we're not limited to Office365 licenses to deploy Office 2013 using App-V. Also volume licenses can be used. But sequencing is only needed for Office Add-ins or other customizations afaik.

Supported scenarios for deploying Microsoft Office as an App-V package: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2772509/en-us

How to make your AppV package:

Download the CURRENT version of ODT (Office Deployment Toolkit).

Adapt the XML file to your needs.

Then use the /download parameter against ODT's setup.exe to download the sources files.

You don't need the /configure step (only to install your downloaded packages native, can be handy to install it on your sequencer thought).

Last step is to generate your AppV5 package with the /packager switch.

It's to easy, something will go wrong ;)

More detailed info here: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2915745/en-us

http://blogs.technet.com/b/pauljones/archive/2013/08/28/office-2013-click-to-run-with-configuration-manager-2012.aspx

Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:13 PM
  • Thank you very much for reply.
    Friday, January 10, 2014 6:06 AM
  • Thank you very much for detailed information Ben.

I understood your process well. But I have one doubt in above process.

-  When we can use the Microsoft Sequencer 5.0 to capture the installation of Office 2013?

- Is /packager parameter converting the physical package to virtual package?

Please confirm me when we can capture the installation part.

Friday, January 10, 2014 6:15 AM
  • You don't need to sequence anything for Office 2013. Only if you need extra Office Add-ins or make other customisations. Then you need to sequence these add-ins (with Office 2013 installed native in your sequencer) and suite both packages with Connection Groups.

The /Packager switch does the sequencing for you (more or less). It makes the .appv file (and xml's..) for you.

Our managers can sequence Office these days :-)

Friday, January 10, 2014 6:28 AM
  • Thank you for detailed information Ben.

Friday, January 10, 2014 6:36 AM
  • Hi,

The Office Deployment Toolkit setup extracting two files such as Setup.exe and Config.xml. Whether we have to pass /download parameter to extracted setup.exe or ODT setup.

Is application is requires network connectivity while downloading the files?

Please help me regarding this.

Monday, January 13, 2014 5:30 AM
  • Use the parameters on the extracted setup.exe. You can verify this by running setup.exe /?

Yes, you will need Internet access during the download phase, otherwise setup won't be able to download the source files. Once downloaded, you can create multiple packages from the single download.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, January 13, 2014 6:16 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.

After downloading the files, we can use the /PACKAGER parameter to create App-V 5.0 package right.

Then In this case, how can i separate the Add-Ins of Outlook to create one more App-v package.

Monday, January 13, 2014 6:22 AM
  • You don't need to sequence anything for Office 2013. Only if you need extra Office Add-ins or make other customisations. Then you need to sequence these add-ins (with Office 2013 installed native in your sequencer) and suite both packages with Connection Groups.

The /Packager switch does the sequencing for you (more or less). It makes the .appv file (and xml's..) for you.

Our managers can sequence Office these days :-)

As Ben has pointed out previously (quoted above) - create the Office add-ins as a separate package (using an installed version of Office on the sequencing VM) and connect the add-ins package to the Office package with a Connection Group.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, January 13, 2014 6:24 AM
  • Thank you very much for the valuable infomation.
    Monday, January 13, 2014 6:28 AM