none
dpm needs to recatalog the selected tape before it can display its content RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

a couple times a week i get the message: "dpm needs to recatalog the selected tape before it can display its content" After a tape job when i want to change the tape. So i cannot look to the expire date of the tape. I always put that information in a sheet. We already updated from 2007 to 2010. But apparently this didn't help.

we use a dell powervault 114T.

Why is this and how can i solve this?

Regards,

Peter 

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Monday, July 19, 2010 6:37 AM Moving to DPM Tape Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 12:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Peter,

The default setting for tape catalog pruning is to prune the catalog when the protection group retention range expires.  While under the protection tab, click on the "Specify tape catalog retention" link, you can choose different options if you like. 

Also, a better way of determining when a tape is due back is to simply run a tape management report and see what tapes are due back or are overdue.  You can have the report mailed to you each week so you know in advance and can plan on bringing the tapes back onsite and insert them in the library once the expired date is reached according to the report.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

that is because of the tape catalog retention settings. default the catalog (which holds an index of what is on tapes) will be pruned if the retention range expires. normally i would advise somesort labelling systen or barcode reader to solve this. thisway you don't have to look at the tape contents before you reuse the tapes.

regards,

Alex

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Hi Alex,

Thanks for your message. I think i was not completely clear. The tape i want to look into is the tape that was just finished with the job. So that one comes out of the drive. After that i always check the tape contents before i bring it to the safe. I always note the expire date of the current tape. so that i not bring a tape which is not expired yet.

I hope i explained it better now.

Regards,

Peter.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Hi Peter,

The default setting for tape catalog pruning is to prune the catalog when the protection group retention range expires.  While under the protection tab, click on the "Specify tape catalog retention" link, you can choose different options if you like. 

Also, a better way of determining when a tape is due back is to simply run a tape management report and see what tapes are due back or are overdue.  You can have the report mailed to you each week so you know in advance and can plan on bringing the tapes back onsite and insert them in the library once the expired date is reached according to the report.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Mike,

I understand what you are saying, but I don't have a tape robot, nor a barcode reader.

So, I am working with a spreadsheet, which in theory works great.

However, 1 protection group is about 500GB which in my case (with 200GB LTO2 tapes) so it needs 3 tapes.

First tape in the night works fine. I come in the office, press the button to eject the tape. Go in DPM management, right click the tape and select: "View Tape Contents" this shows me what's on the ejected tape. I fill in the excel sheet the tape number and the expired date.

Then I grab "an old expired tape" and place it in the drive. In DPM manager, Monitoring, Alerts I see "job waiting for tape" I press COntinue job.

When this tape is done (the job needs a 3rd tape!) I press the button to eject this 2nd tape. Go to DPM Management. When I now press VIEW TAPE CONTENTS, (loads of times it gives me the message:  "dpm needs to recatalog the selected tape before it can display its content"

I hope you understand my problem now? 

Thursday, July 1, 2010 7:51 AM
  • Hi Peter,

I cannot account for the popup, however, there is no need to "view tape contents" on subsequent tapes as the expired date will be the same as the 1st tapes expired date. 

Anyways, I will see if I can duplicate this behavior.

Thursday, July 1, 2010 4:24 PM