laptop freezes on most commands RRS feed

• Question

• My friend's laptop freezes and the cursor changes to the swirling circle EVERY time she:

right clicks on the desktop
    tries to open the control panel
    clicks on the task manager

There may be other times, too...that's all I can remember her telling me.

I'm a first time poster so if this should be in another thread, please move.  I have searched the internet and technet for an answer but there are so many things it seems like it must be a system service (?) or something overall that is causing this issue.

She has Vista Home, sp1

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Please try the following to narrow down the issue:

1.  The issue can be caused by the factor that there are some system files corrupted, please run SFC to have a check.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

For more information about the command SFC, please refer to the following Knowledge Base:

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

2.    Please perform a Clean Boot on the computer and check if there are some conflicts caused by some third-party software.

Clean boot

=================

1)    Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)    Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)    Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

NOTE: we can go back to normal boot by running msconfig again and checking on Normal Startup in the General tab.

In the Clean Boot Environment, the third party services and applications are disabled, please check if the issue reoccurs at this time.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

3.    You can also boot the system to the Safe Mode to see how it works.

Meanwhile, the performance is also related to the hardware, please let us know the computer’s specification for our further research.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, March 13, 2009 8:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting.

Please try the following to narrow down the issue:

1.  The issue can be caused by the factor that there are some system files corrupted, please run SFC to have a check.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

For more information about the command SFC, please refer to the following Knowledge Base:

How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

2.    Please perform a Clean Boot on the computer and check if there are some conflicts caused by some third-party software.

Clean boot

=================

1)    Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)    Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)    Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

NOTE: we can go back to normal boot by running msconfig again and checking on Normal Startup in the General tab.

In the Clean Boot Environment, the third party services and applications are disabled, please check if the issue reoccurs at this time.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to one application or service we have disabled. You may use the MSCONFIG tool again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

3.    You can also boot the system to the Safe Mode to see how it works.

Meanwhile, the performance is also related to the hardware, please let us know the computer’s specification for our further research.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, March 13, 2009 8:14 AM
  • Thanks - I probably won't get to her laptop for a week or so - but I've done that "run sfc" on other pcs before so I do know what you're talking about.  Thanks for the advice.

It's a Gateway laptop, 1.5 yrs old, Vista Home Premium, 32 bit, 1 G Ram, AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core, 1.7 GHz, NVidia GEForce.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:22 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

After geting the computer again, please try my suggestions and let us know the results.

If you need any help, feel free to let me know. Thanks.
    Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:58 AM