Vista Home Basic - safe mode and malware protection disabled RRS feed

• Question

• For the past three days, my laptop (running Vista Home Basic) hasn't been shutting down, the screen would go to sleep, but the hard drive kept spinning. Woke computer and tried to open Task Manager to see what processes were running, but that wouldn't open. Eventually gave up and used hard shut down.

I have tried rebooting in safe mode and safe mode with networking, but in neither instance do I get any indication I am actually in safe mode - I don't think I am (used to see "safe mode" on screen, but don't see it now and all programmes and internet are running apparently as usual). I also discovered Mcafee had been disabled, but I did not get a security alert from Windows Security Center telling me that my malware protection was turned off (I have never disabled security alerts - no idea how long it was off).  Good news is that Mcafee does run once it's manually turned back on again, but it is automatically disabled at start-up each time, and I'm still not getting the security alert even after re-selecting "yes, notify me and display icon". Computer is also now shutting down and I can open Task manager.

I can't see anything in the event log and nothing shows up on Defender or Virus Enterprise scans, so not sure what is going on. The only thing I found, which didn't look good to me (in "services") was that secondary logon was enabled and running. "Remote assistance" was also enabled - I thought that was automatically disabled in Vista, and I have never enabled it. Both are now disabled, but I am somewhat concerned about security breaches that might have already happened.

Do these problems sound like a virus, security center issue, compatibility issue (also running Defender, although temporarily uninstalled it per instructions when originally installing Mcafee), or is it more likely just a problem with the computer?

Thanks.
    • Edited by VMJ2012 Friday, June 29, 2012 5:03 PM add info
    Friday, June 29, 2012 3:13 PM

Answers