none
Setting working hours for resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm new to project pro so there's still a lot I need to know. If any one could direct me to a good introductory website or video to using this app I would be very greatfull.

My question are in two parts but both related to resources calander.

At the moment I have a separate project for my resource pool so that I can track where my resources are loaded across multiple projects.

Its great but when I put the duration of a task to 1 day it assumes the resource works for 24 hours that day which is not the case. I need to set my working hours to 8 hours a day monday to friday.

I am also having task clashes if I have a 4 hour task and a 2 hour task fall on the same day. Can the software realise that both these tasks can be done in the same day or do I have to manually ignore every clash where that comes up.

Thanks in advance

Monday, November 16, 2015 9:15 PM

Answers

• Simmo1313,

Sorry I can't specifically cite a website for Project basics but I'm sure others will.

With regard to your specific issues, if your resources are being assigned work on other an a standard 8 hour day, I suspect the project calendar has been changed from the Standard, which is the default 8 hour day, 5 days a week, to a 24 hour calendar. To check or reset, you will need to open each sharer project (i.e. each project that uses the pool) and go to Project/Properties group/Project Information. Make sure the calendar is set for "Standard".

Unless you specifically set a calendar for each task using the Task Calendar field, leaving the setting at "none" will cause each task to take on the Project calendar. You should also check the Base Calendar field for each resource in the resource pool file. Normally that base calendar will also be "Standard".

When you say "task clashes" I assume you are referring to the possibility of a given resource being assigned to two tasks simultaneously such that the resource becomes overallocated (i.e. is assigned more hours per day than that resource normally works). Project has a utility called Resource Leveling that can be used to resolve most overallocated resources. Given a task priority, the leveling algorithm will move lesser priority tasks to a later date or split tasks as necessary to attempt to resolve the overallocation. Bear in mind that the leveling feature, which can be found under Resource/Level group/Level Resources, may not be able to resolve all overallocation issues. Even if the leveling feature is used, a smart practice is to review all assignments to insure the plan still is viable and meets all intents.

John

• Marked as answer by Simmo1313 Monday, November 23, 2015 2:26 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

On top of John's excellent advice, one little thing that answers one of your questions:

When you go to Resource/Level group/Leveling Options, set "Look for overallocations on a "Hour by Hour" basis, into "Day by Day" basis. Project will then accept that a 4 hour task and a 2 hour task can be done in the same day.

Greetings,

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 11:22 AM

All replies

• Simmo1313,

Sorry I can't specifically cite a website for Project basics but I'm sure others will.

With regard to your specific issues, if your resources are being assigned work on other an a standard 8 hour day, I suspect the project calendar has been changed from the Standard, which is the default 8 hour day, 5 days a week, to a 24 hour calendar. To check or reset, you will need to open each sharer project (i.e. each project that uses the pool) and go to Project/Properties group/Project Information. Make sure the calendar is set for "Standard".

Unless you specifically set a calendar for each task using the Task Calendar field, leaving the setting at "none" will cause each task to take on the Project calendar. You should also check the Base Calendar field for each resource in the resource pool file. Normally that base calendar will also be "Standard".

When you say "task clashes" I assume you are referring to the possibility of a given resource being assigned to two tasks simultaneously such that the resource becomes overallocated (i.e. is assigned more hours per day than that resource normally works). Project has a utility called Resource Leveling that can be used to resolve most overallocated resources. Given a task priority, the leveling algorithm will move lesser priority tasks to a later date or split tasks as necessary to attempt to resolve the overallocation. Bear in mind that the leveling feature, which can be found under Resource/Level group/Level Resources, may not be able to resolve all overallocation issues. Even if the leveling feature is used, a smart practice is to review all assignments to insure the plan still is viable and meets all intents.

John

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

On top of John's excellent advice, one little thing that answers one of your questions:

When you go to Resource/Level group/Leveling Options, set "Look for overallocations on a "Hour by Hour" basis, into "Day by Day" basis. Project will then accept that a 4 hour task and a 2 hour task can be done in the same day.

Greetings,

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 11:22 AM
  • Thank you so  much,

Should it be set to hour by hour instead of day by day?

Monday, November 23, 2015 2:09 AM
  • Thank you John,

I have now found where the standard hours are input and fixed it.

Monday, November 23, 2015 2:10 AM