DVD Drive Stops Responding RRS feed

• Question

• Most DVDs work fine.  However, there are a few that I have issues with:

• Autorun does not work correctly, and I have to manually open the autorun
    • Software installation will hang and not do any work, DVD stops spinning, and the drive no longer recognizes the disc within Windows
    There is not a problem with the disc, as the discs work fine on other computers without the same issue.  The issue is not drive specific, I have two drives that experience identical problems on the same discs.  The drivers are updated according to Windows Update.  I have also removed UpperFilters from the registry in hopes that this may be the issue to no avail.  If I copy all the data to the hard drive and install from the hard drive instead of the disc, it works fine.  I just don't want to have to resort to that every time I come across this problem.

System Information:
    HP d4999t
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-bit)
    Processor: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.67 GHz
    Memory (RAM): 4 GB (operating at 3.25 GB)
    DVD 1: Stock CD-ROM Drive (HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH10L)
    DVD 2: Samsung (TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203N)

Any help on resolving the problem would be appreciated.
    Sunday, September 7, 2008 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You might perform the following steps to narrow down the cause of your issue.

Move the good DVD ROM drive from the other computer (where the discs work fine) to the problematic computer and then test whether it works.

Reinstall DVD driver

1. Go to Start-> Control Panel (Classic View) -> System icon, and click Device Manager on the left.

2. Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives

3. Right Click your DVD drives and select Uninstall.

4. Unplug and plug the DVD devices onto the computer.

6. In the Device Manager, click the Scan for hardware changes button on the toolbar and let it scan your computer.

7. When the system finds the new device, please download and install the latest driver (Vista compatible) for your DVD device.

Terminate third-party conflicts

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode with Networking, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, let’s try a Clean Boot to test the issue.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

Good Luck!

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 11:35 AM

All replies

• Monday, September 8, 2008 2:28 PM
  • Hi,

You might perform the following steps to narrow down the cause of your issue.

Move the good DVD ROM drive from the other computer (where the discs work fine) to the problematic computer and then test whether it works.

Reinstall DVD driver

1. Go to Start-> Control Panel (Classic View) -> System icon, and click Device Manager on the left.

2. Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives

3. Right Click your DVD drives and select Uninstall.

4. Unplug and plug the DVD devices onto the computer.

6. In the Device Manager, click the Scan for hardware changes button on the toolbar and let it scan your computer.

7. When the system finds the new device, please download and install the latest driver (Vista compatible) for your DVD device.

Terminate third-party conflicts

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode with Networking, and press Enter.

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, let’s try a Clean Boot to test the issue.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note: You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start.

2) Copy and paste "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter.

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services.

4) Click Disable All.

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all.

6) Click OK.

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

Good Luck!

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 11:35 AM