none
Backup Error - 0x810000E4 Windows Backup has encountered a problem with the backup catalog

Question

• Dear all,

I'm trying to backup my files onto a 2TB big external USB disk. My computer is Dell Latitude E4300.

When I run the backup, it runs normally but ends with this error:

0x810000E4 Windows Backup has encountered a problem with the backup catalog

When checking the zip files on the USB drive, it seems that only some of the files have been backed up. The same confirms the restore option when I browse the files in the backup.

When I start the backup again, it continues - i.e. acknowledges the files already there and backs up a additional files but again fails after some time.

Any ideas please.

Thank you,

Tomas

Saturday, October 23, 2010 7:19 AM

Answers

• Thanks Tomas for the follow up.

Tomas was running into this issue due to the large scale of files that was included in backup (~35,000 files). Upon excluding certain folders containing large number of files, the backup succeeded without any issues.

Thanks,

Sriram [MSFT]

Sriram [MSFT]
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 11:21 AM

All replies

• Hello Tomas,

This is not expected.

Could you please collect the backup failure traces from %windir%\Logs\WindowsBackup and send them to my mail-id - sriramb-nospam@microsoft.com (pl. remove -nospam phrase from the id to get the correct one).

Thanks,

Sriram [MSFT]

Sriram [MSFT]
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 10:09 AM
  • Follow up with Tomas is in progress. Will update with findings.

Thanks,

Sriram [MSFT]

Sriram [MSFT]
    Sunday, October 31, 2010 3:03 PM
  • Thanks Tomas for the follow up.

Tomas was running into this issue due to the large scale of files that was included in backup (~35,000 files). Upon excluding certain folders containing large number of files, the backup succeeded without any issues.

Thanks,

Sriram [MSFT]

Sriram [MSFT]
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 11:21 AM
  • Sriram,

What rubbish is this MS.

Paul King

Paul King

Monday, January 26, 2015 1:57 AM
  • Hi -- My PC has hundreds of thousands of files, which is not unusual.  You have told Tomas that his computer -- with a mere 35,000 files -- has too many.  Can it be possible that Microsoft's backup program does not work for either of us?  If so, what alternative program do you suggest I use?  Thank you! -- Dan Keller
    Friday, June 29, 2018 4:30 AM