none
Decomposition Tree navigation error. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

My environment: Windows 2008 R2, SharePoint 2010, SQL 2008 R2 with claim-based authentication.

I have received the following error message when I expand decomposition tree up to certain level (sometimes it's 3, 4, 5, etc level):
    - in Application Event Viewer:
    An exception occurred while expanding an item in the Decomposition Tree.  The following details may help you to diagnose the problem: Navigation context: {"Type":"olap","NavigationContext":"%7B3bc1c25b-e1dc-fe62-0d5e-e0ed4ecc429e%7D","Title":"myXxX by YYY"} Level name: [xDim].[xDimHie].[xDimItem] Item name: [xDim].[xDimHie].&[ItemNumber] Destination item name: [xDim2].[xDimHie].[xDimItem]
    Exception Message: You do not have permissions to see this data or the server is unavailable.
    Inner Exception Message:
    Stack Trace:    at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.DataSourceProviders.AdomdDataSourceProvider.RunQueryInternal(String query, Boolean isCellSet, Int32 sessionTimeout)
       at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.DataSourceProviders.AdomdDataSourceProvider.RunQuery(String query, Int32 sessionTimeout)
       at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.DataSourceProviders.AdomdDataSourceProvider.RunQuery(String query)
       at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Analytics.ServerRendering.Reports.Analytics.AnalyticDecomp.OlapDecompEngine.ExecuteMdx(DataSource dataSource, String mdx)
       at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Analytics.ServerRendering.Reports.Analytics.AnalyticDecomp.OlapDecompEngine.GenerateDecompReportView(AnalyticReportState report, DecompQueryParameters queryParameters, DataSource dataSource, String destHierName, String destLevelName, String measureName, String parentItemName, WithMemberDef itemToGoOnBackground, Boolean isAutoExpand, AnalyticReportState& decompReportResult, DecompCacheEntry& cacheEntry)
       at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Analytics.ServerRendering.Reports.Analytics.AnalyticDecomp.OlapDecompEngine.ExpandWork(AnalyticReportState report, DecompQueryParameters queryParameters, String selectedLevelUniqueName, String selectedItemUniqueName, String destLevelName, AnalyticReportState& decompReportResult, DecompCacheEntry& cacheEntryMdx, DecompCacheEntry& cacheEntryLocation)
       at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Analytics.ServerRendering.Reports.Analytics.AnalyticDecomp.OlapDecompEngine.Expand(String navigationContext, DecompQueryParameters queryParameters, String selectedLevelUniqueName, String selectedItemUniqueName, String navigationItemUniqueName)
       at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Analytics.ServerRendering.Reports.Analytics.AnalyticDecomp.AnalyticDecompCtrl.Expand(String navigationContext, DecompQueryParameters qp, String levelUniqueName, String itemUniqueName, String navigationItemUniqueName)
     PerformancePoint Services error code 20604.

- in ULS:
    Cannot connect to the "myCube" database on the "myServerinFQDN\myInstance" server.  Either the "myDomain\myLogin" user does not have access to the database, or the database does not exist, or the server is unavailable.  Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnectionException: The connection either timed out or was lost. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host   
     at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)     -
     -- End of inner exception stack trace ---   
     at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)   
     at System.IO.BufferedStream.Read(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count)   
     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.DimeRecord.ForceRead(Stream stream, Byte[] buffer, Int32 length)   
     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.DimeRecord.ReadHeader()   
     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.DimeReader.ReadRecord()   
     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.TcpStream.GetResponseDataType()     -
     -- End of inner exception stack trace ---   
     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.EndRequest()   
     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.SendMessage(Boolean endReceivalIfException, Boolean readSession, Boolean readNamespaceCompatibility)   
     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.ExecuteStatement(String statement, IDictionary connectionProperties, IDictionary commandProperties, IDataParameterCollection parameters, Boolean isMdx)   
     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.XmlaClientProvider.Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.IExecuteProvider.ExecuteMultidimensional(ICommandContentProvider contentProvider, AdomdPropertyCollection commandProperties, IDataParameterCollection parameters)   
     at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdCommand.ExecuteCellSet()   
     at Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.DataSourceProviders.AdomdDataSourceProvider.RunQueryInternal(String query, Boolean isCellSet, Int32 sessionTimeout)  PerformancePoint Services error code 28.

I don't believe this is something to do with my login because I have admin rights on the cube and more over I can see the data initially and expand up to certain level in Decomposition tree. I also trace with Profiler and the connection to the cube was my login.

I have similar setup in my DEV environment but using Windows 2008 Server where I applied the hotfix for Kerberos issue (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969083).

Anyone can help me please?

Cheers,

Uzzie

Monday, June 6, 2011 4:51 AM

All replies

• Hello Uzzie,

In your Dev environment, can you recreate the same issue?  If not, have you considered loading the Kerberos hotfix on your production environment?

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Hi Heidi,

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned in my posting, my TEST is running Windows 2008 R2 while my DEV is running Windows 2008.
    Windows 2008 R2 doesn't required the kerberos hotfix. It will reject it if you tried to install it.

Thanks and Regards,

Uzzie

Saturday, August 6, 2011 11:02 PM
  • Uzzie,

My apologies on your environment.  I didn't catch the R2 in your test environment.  Just to clarify, is your Dev environment working?

How much data is being pulled?  Could it be a timeout issue for your data source connection?  I would like you to go into Central Administration and go to the PerformancePoint Service Settings.   Extended the Data Source query time-out.  By default it is 300 seconds.  I would also look at your Decomposition Tree setting to make sure the maximum number of items fits your criteria.

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Hi Heidi,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your response. Answer to your questions:

* My Dev environment is working perfectly.
    * When the error occured, I only try to expand to a dimension with only 5 members. So I think this will exclude the query time-out setting.

Thanks and Regards,

Uzzie 

Friday, September 30, 2011 12:28 AM
  • Hello,
    Have you done any SQL tracing to see what the report is trying to access when the error appears?  Does it work if you use Unattended Account in your data source?

How do you have your Constrained Delegration setup for your SSAS?  Is it pointing to your named instance?  Do you have your port number called out too?

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Monday, October 10, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Hi Heidi,

Sorry for taking this long to reply. I haven't done SQL tracing yet. I use constrainted delegation so might not be able to test it with Unattended account.

The constrained delegation works just fine on Excel Services, any other PerformancePoint  object except this decomposition tree. That's why I found it a bit strange.

Cheers,

Uzzie

Monday, November 14, 2011 12:19 AM
  • Uzzie,

You can still test Unattended account by changing the data source to Unattended vs. Per Identity.  This is your call to make the switch.  This might help us narrow down to what to look at.  I would also suggest getting a SQL trace if you can.

I agree that the behavior seems odd.  It

I was looking around on the error "Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host".  This error can occur if there is not enough room from a cube processing standpoint.  I saw references of a full disk drive can cause this error.  When looking at your disk space, make sure you have more space than the size of your cube.  So if you cube is 11G....make sure you have more than 11G of free space.

Besides the SQL Trace, this is something else to look at.

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Thursday, November 17, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Hi Heidi,

Thank you so much for your reply and sorry for taking such a long time to reply. I've been assigned to something else :)

In regards to the space, I have plenty of space since this is a new server. And the Unattended acccount worked.

Cheers,

Uzzie

Monday, December 12, 2011 5:20 AM