none
Nasty KB2468871 .NET Framework Update making my deployment fail RRS feed

• Question

• Since we updated our WSUS server we have some problem with deploying Windows 7 to several computers with using MDT.

In our Task Sequence we activated the task Windows Update (both pre and post application installation).

Due to this .NET 4 Framework update the task sequence will be in a loop and tries to install the update for 8 times and then timed out. This increases our deployment time a lot.

I know how to fix this issue after the deployment:

• Download the KB2468871 update
    • Try to install it, so that it extracts the needed .dll
    • C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml.Serialization\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089
    • Go to there and you should see the .dll file "System.Xml.Serialization.dll" If you can't find it do a search for it.
    • Copy it.
    • Paste it here C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319
    • And paste it here: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319
    • Install the KB2468871 update you downloaded earlier.

What is the best way to implement this in MDT?

• Edited by VMI-IT Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:43 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:42 AM

Answers

• You have a few options...

• Put KB2468871 into your reference image so that you don't have to worry about it during deployment or the time it takes (pretty useful for all patches needed by your image).
    • If KB2468871 has a .CAB or .MSU, you could apply it as a Package and may have better luck with the installation going smoothly.
    • Put WUMU_ExcludeKB1=2468871 into your CustomSettings.ini so that your "Windows Update" task will ignore it during the Task Sequence.  Then, post MDT Deployment, your WSUS process would find it missing and install it later.  This is just a delay tactic.
    • Create a PowerShell or VBScript to do what you described and perform the install of KB2468871 as a scripted "Application".  You'd obviously need to do it prior to running the "Windows Update" tasks or do it in conjunction with the previous step.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:52 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for your answer.

I did some research and I found out that the newest patch KB2804576 is killing the old KB2468871 patch. Since that update also did some harm to computer already deployed in our company (luckily only those from the Test group). We stopped approving the KB2804576 update and everything is running fine.

Probably Microsoft will release another update soon, that works better.

But I like your option of:

Put WUMU_ExcludeKB1=2468871 into your CustomSettings.ini so that your "Windows Update" task will ignore it during the Task Sequence.  Then, post MDT Deployment, your WSUS process would find it missing and install it later.  This is just a delay tactic.

That can atleast be a solution for the long deployment time, while others can test this situation to solve the problem in the future.

Best regards,

• Marked as answer by VMI-IT Monday, May 27, 2013 7:29 AM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 8:17 AM

All replies

• You have a few options...

• Put KB2468871 into your reference image so that you don't have to worry about it during deployment or the time it takes (pretty useful for all patches needed by your image).
    • If KB2468871 has a .CAB or .MSU, you could apply it as a Package and may have better luck with the installation going smoothly.
    • Put WUMU_ExcludeKB1=2468871 into your CustomSettings.ini so that your "Windows Update" task will ignore it during the Task Sequence.  Then, post MDT Deployment, your WSUS process would find it missing and install it later.  This is just a delay tactic.
    • Create a PowerShell or VBScript to do what you described and perform the install of KB2468871 as a scripted "Application".  You'd obviously need to do it prior to running the "Windows Update" tasks or do it in conjunction with the previous step.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:52 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for your answer.

I did some research and I found out that the newest patch KB2804576 is killing the old KB2468871 patch. Since that update also did some harm to computer already deployed in our company (luckily only those from the Test group). We stopped approving the KB2804576 update and everything is running fine.

Probably Microsoft will release another update soon, that works better.

But I like your option of:

Put WUMU_ExcludeKB1=2468871 into your CustomSettings.ini so that your "Windows Update" task will ignore it during the Task Sequence.  Then, post MDT Deployment, your WSUS process would find it missing and install it later.  This is just a delay tactic.

That can atleast be a solution for the long deployment time, while others can test this situation to solve the problem in the future.

Best regards,

• Marked as answer by VMI-IT Monday, May 27, 2013 7:29 AM
    Friday, May 24, 2013 8:17 AM