Vista Ultimate Upgrade Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have upgraded my XP Toshiba Equium to Vista Ultimate & now my cd/dvd drive does not work, i'v tried searching online for a new driver but keep getting told the one i have installed is the latest driver, device manager also tells me this, the drive i have is a 'Matshita DVD/CDRW UJDA770 ATA Device'

It is showing in device manager as having a problem, any advice would be appreciated ?

Thanks.

Friday, August 22, 2008 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hi

Before you start this procedure, disconnect any external CD or DVD drives. If you have any external or SD Card type readers, disconnect these.

Open Device Manager, right click that CD/DVD drive and select the 'Scan for hardware changes'. After this completes, exit everything and reboot the computer. Check to see if the drive is working. Try several different types of disks.

If this doesn't fix the problem, go back into Device Manager, right click the CD/DVD drive and select the 'Uninstall' option. OK all of the prompts. After this is finished, reboot the computer and the system should re-detect the device and install the default driver. Follow any on-screen instructions. After this completes, reboot the computer again. Test again with several different type of disks.

Let us know the results. If you see any errors, post the 'exact' error message.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Friday, August 22, 2008 4:17 PM

All replies

• Hi

Before you start this procedure, disconnect any external CD or DVD drives. If you have any external or SD Card type readers, disconnect these.

Open Device Manager, right click that CD/DVD drive and select the 'Scan for hardware changes'. After this completes, exit everything and reboot the computer. Check to see if the drive is working. Try several different types of disks.

If this doesn't fix the problem, go back into Device Manager, right click the CD/DVD drive and select the 'Uninstall' option. OK all of the prompts. After this is finished, reboot the computer and the system should re-detect the device and install the default driver. Follow any on-screen instructions. After this completes, reboot the computer again. Test again with several different type of disks.

Let us know the results. If you see any errors, post the 'exact' error message.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Friday, August 22, 2008 4:17 PM
  • I have the same driver, matshita ujda770 dvd/cdrw ata, which came installed on my HP Pavillion dv2000 laptop with Vista. It can read DVDs, CDs, and write CDs. But when I put a blank DVD in (R or RW) it hangs or claims there is no DVD in. I've tried to update the driver, but it claims to be working and the driver s/w says it is an OS driver. I've uninstalled it and get the same result when automatically detected. The device manager lists it as a DVD/CD ROM, but the name is DVD/CD+RW (odd). Any clue how to get this DVD writer working?
    DanHal
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:06 AM