Folders not auto-expanding on new email RRS feed

• Question

• I've long used rules to move emails into folders on arrival and, previously, Outlook has always then expanded those folders automatically to show me that there is new email in those folders. Never had any problems when using IMAP or POP.

However, I've recently changed one of my email accounts to use Exchange and the above function no longer works - I need to remember to expand folders to see if there are any new emails in them.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it a bug in Outlook?

Thursday, January 30, 2020 10:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I tested in my environment and can reproduce your issue:

1. When I used an IMAP or POP account, Outlook would expand the folders automatically.
    2. When I used an Exchange account, this no longer work.

So I'm afraid this is by design. I will help you submit feedback internally. Besides, it is also encouraged to share your feedback via the Outlook UserVoice forum (This is for all versions).

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Nadampski Friday, January 31, 2020 6:01 PM
    Friday, January 31, 2020 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I tested in my environment and can reproduce your issue:

1. When I used an IMAP or POP account, Outlook would expand the folders automatically.
    2. When I used an Exchange account, this no longer work.

So I'm afraid this is by design. I will help you submit feedback internally. Besides, it is also encouraged to share your feedback via the Outlook UserVoice forum (This is for all versions).

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Nadampski Friday, January 31, 2020 6:01 PM
    Friday, January 31, 2020 6:52 AM
  • Thank you, Aidan!

It does seem peculiar, doesn't it? I've just realised that it's working perfectly here for my IMAP account but, in the same instance of Outlook, not Exchange.

Regards,

Nick

Friday, January 31, 2020 6:01 PM