none
Azure AD connect to multiple forests

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to set up Azure AD Connect with a sync from 3 forests to 1 tenant. However, I'm struggling to add the forests in the AD Connect wizard. 

I'm working with the following domains:

intranet.city.com with Netbios name "INTRANET"

intranet.pdwxcity.com with Netbios name "INTRANET"

city.com with Netbios name "CITY"

In the "Connect your directories" page, I was able to add the "parent" (company owning the tenant) domain intranet.city.com but I couldn't add the other domains. All the required ports are open. I am getting the following errors (depending on the format of the credentials; Netbios name, full domain name, UPN, etc):

The provided user was not found in the directory. Specify a valid domain account
    OR
    The specified forest does not exist or cannot be contacted
    OR
    The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted

Any idea what the problem could be? Is the fact that they have similar Netbios or top level domains a problem? 

Please note that I am working with the hosts file for name resolution to the other domains. I don't know if this is a problem or not. 

Thanks a lot for the help!

• Edited by Jozef Woo Tuesday, April 11, 2017 2:00 PM
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Thank you for posting questions in the Directory Services, since the problem is more related to Azure AD, I would suggest that you could post in the Azure AD forum:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/home?forum=WindowsAzureAD
    The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 7:25 AM
  • Hi, thanks. I will do that. In case anyone ever bumps in this question and doesn't find an answer, I posted my question here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/109d5d6a-493d-4135-b5a9-7aee6505c248/azure-ad-connect-to-multiple-forests?forum=WindowsAzureAD

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 7:39 AM