SEM (shared exchange mailbox) access only RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!

I have a customer that would like to allow a set of employees to one or more shared mailboxes and those mailboxes only (i.e., they would "effectively" have no access to their own personal mailbox ... more specifically it (i.e., their individual mailbox ) should not receive mail nor should they be able to initiate a mail from their mail box.  The should have Full Access and Send As  access to the SEM.   

The environment is Exchange 2013 (local services)... most clients are outlook 2007 and owa is disabled.   The access to the SEM and setup is fairly straight forward ... I'm not sure about how to effectively restrict the individual mailbox.   Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:36 PM

Answers

• I am not sure if it works with Outlook 2007 but you can take shared mailbox, provide full access to user, create new profile on user workstation and specify manually email address of shared mailbox. You will see a password popup where you type user credentials. As result you will have profile with only one mailbox (shared in your case) configured.
    • Proposed as answer by Amit Tank Thursday, July 30, 2015 11:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Friday, July 31, 2015 3:49 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:40 PM
  • Thanks for reply!  I'll try this today!
    • Marked as answer by Elhanann Friday, July 31, 2015 1:26 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2015 1:25 PM

All replies

• Thanks for reply!  I'll try this today!
    • Marked as answer by Elhanann Friday, July 31, 2015 1:26 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2015 1:25 PM
  • Hi,

You can do this if you want to setup Outlook 2007 with shared mailbox in a separate profile.

However, adding a mailbox as an additional Exchange account is only possible in Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013. When you use Outlook 2007 or previous, you can still add it as an additional mailbox.

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 31, 2015 3:57 PM