Settings for visual effects not remembered on a standard user account RRS feed

• Question

• This issue has been around since Windows Vista. I cannot get the system to remember the settings for a standard user account, only for admins. Running "View advanced system settings" with admin privileges doesn't help. I read of a workaround which involves disabling UAC, then applying the changes and turning UAC back on. Can someone confirm this works?

And why does it have to be that way? Seems like a bug to me.
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 2:08 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your replies.

I found a workaround though. A search for "adjust the appearance" lets one access these settings without being prompted by UAC and they are remembered permanently after this. Before that I used to access the "advanced system settings" through elevation from a standard user account.

Is it supposed to be like this? No UAC prompt here.

Also I would find it more convenient to have these settings included in the Control Panel.

@ Shaon Shan:

So when you change the settings through an admin account, are these also applied to the standard user account automatically or did you do that separately?
    Also note that a google search for "visual effects settings uac" gives several threads on my problem so this looks like it is not unique.

• Marked as answer by papaluga Monday, September 14, 2009 8:14 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 9:48 AM
  • Hi,

I did a test on test computer.

I created a standard account and changed the Visual Effects settings --- log off and log on an administrator account --- change he Visual Effects settings again but different with the standard account --- log off and log on the standard account. Settings are still the same as the first time I set in standard account.

Then I restart the computer and log on the administrator account (settings are still correct) --- log off and log on the standard account again, the settings are still the same.

So in my test result, settings of Visual Effects are saved correctly. Please let me know if there is any specific step we performed which can recur the issue.

If we cannot confirm, try disable all third party programs with Clean Boot steps and test again. Please refer the steps for Windows Vista. If issue still not occur in Clean Boot Mode, continue perform the narrow down steps to find out the cause.

As a test, we can also test to create a new standard account to see if Visual Effects issue will still exists.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I did a test on test computer.

I created a standard account and changed the Visual Effects settings --- log off and log on an administrator account --- change he Visual Effects settings again but different with the standard account --- log off and log on the standard account. Settings are still the same as the first time I set in standard account.

Then I restart the computer and log on the administrator account (settings are still correct) --- log off and log on the standard account again, the settings are still the same.

So in my test result, settings of Visual Effects are saved correctly. Please let me know if there is any specific step we performed which can recur the issue.

If we cannot confirm, try disable all third party programs with Clean Boot steps and test again. Please refer the steps for Windows Vista. If issue still not occur in Clean Boot Mode, continue perform the narrow down steps to find out the cause.

As a test, we can also test to create a new standard account to see if Visual Effects issue will still exists.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:35 AM
  • I've used a standard user account since Windows Vista and have never come across this. Check the event viewer.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:27 AM
  • Thank you for your replies.

I found a workaround though. A search for "adjust the appearance" lets one access these settings without being prompted by UAC and they are remembered permanently after this. Before that I used to access the "advanced system settings" through elevation from a standard user account.

Is it supposed to be like this? No UAC prompt here.

Also I would find it more convenient to have these settings included in the Control Panel.

@ Shaon Shan:

So when you change the settings through an admin account, are these also applied to the standard user account automatically or did you do that separately?
    Also note that a google search for "visual effects settings uac" gives several threads on my problem so this looks like it is not unique.

• Marked as answer by papaluga Monday, September 14, 2009 8:14 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 9:48 AM
  • hi,

in my test, settings for admin account are not applied to standard user account. They both remember their settings separately.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 1:46 AM
  • Thank you to both you.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 8:16 AM
  • Thank you for posting this and saving me from insanity. I am glad I was not the only person with this problem and now I no longer need to manually adjust the visual settings on each login.

Monday, December 7, 2009 6:22 AM