Windows 10 Pro 32 bit on 64 bit system, want to upgrade to 64 bit - how? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure at what point I ended up with a 32 bit operating system but I have an x64 system with 32 bit Windows 10 Pro on it. 6 GB RAM installed but system shows only 2.87 usable, I should be able to use all of it if I can get the 64 bit system installed - is there a way to do this by upgrade or do I have to back up, do a reformat and full install and then restore? If I back up from a 32 bit system, will the restore to a 64 bit system work properly? Thanks. Jim
    Monday, November 6, 2017 12:08 AM

All replies

• There is no "upgrade" path from x86 to x64. Reinstall the OS and all of the apps, there is no "restore" except for the data (like "My Documents"), not installed applications...

Jack

Monday, November 6, 2017 12:37 AM
  • You can do this, the digital license is for either 32 or 64 bit.  However, as Jack says you must re-install Windows 10 from scratch.  You're going to want to backup whatever files and settings you can and preferably a full backup that allows you to roll back if needed.  You will not need to enter a key, you bypass this step, the computer will automatically activate on connection to the internet when the Microsoft licensing server "recognises" your PC.

First you need to verify your processor is up to it.

How to determine if you have a 64-bit or 32-bit CPU

Once you are sure, you can download the latest Windows 10 at no cost other than your internet bandwidth to usb or iso here

Download Windows 10

usb is the preferred method now as the size of the iso on many of the Windows 10 releases requires a double capacity dvd.  I recommend unplugging everything from the computer but the monitor, mouse and keyboard while performing the upgrade.  Once you have it installed then let it "recognise" all your hardware.

Monday, November 6, 2017 1:01 AM
  • Hi Jim,

If you want change the number of system digits, you will need to reinstall.

Once you’re using an activated version of the 32-bit Windows 10, download the Windows 10 media creation tool from Microsoft. If you’re using the 32-bit version of Windows 10 at the moment, you’ll have to download and run the 32-bit tool.

When you run the tool, select “Create installation media for another PC” and use the tool to create a USB drive or burn a disc with Windows 10. As you click through the wizard, you’ll be asked whether you want to create 32-bit or 64-bit installation media. Select the “64-bit (x64)” architecture.

How to Switch From 32-bit Windows 10 to 64-bit Windows 10

https://www.howtogeek.com/228042/how-to-switch-from-32-bit-windows-10-to-64-bit-windows-10/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:05 AM
  • Hi James,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, November 12, 2017 8:13 AM