RoamingCustom.dic and Office 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Please explain the differences between the three custom dictionaries in Offic 365 Word: RoamingCustom.dic, CUSTOM.DIC, and default.dic.

How does RoamingCustom.dic work in relation to CUSTOM.DIC and default.dic?

If I want to add words to to be considered during Spellcheck, which dictionary should I add them to?

Sunday, March 1, 2020 7:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Sandra,

CUSTOM.DIC: The default dictionary where you store your own words in is in a file called . You can edit it from within Word/Outlook or by directly opening it in Notepad.

RoamingCustom.dic: When you are using Outlook/Word and are logged in with a Microsoft Account via File-> Office Account, then this file is called and is part of your cloud based Office profile. In this case, you can only edit it from within Word/Outlook itself as it is not saved as an editable file on your computer.

default.dic: Language specific dictionary files are called by default and can only be edited by opening the file in Notepad and not from within Word/Outlook.

By default the file is kept in a folder called UProof (for Word/Outlook 2007 and later) or Proof (for Word/Outlook 2003 and previous) and can be found in the following location;

CUSTOM.DIC : C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\

Language specific files(default.dic) are stored in the same basis location as above but the folder is called Spelling instead of UProof or Proof. Within this folder, you’ll find a subfolder representing each language that you have installed for Office. For example, the default.dic file for United States English is stored in: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Spelling\en-US\

For more information, read Add or edit words in a spell check dictionary.

Anything unclear or any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, March 2, 2020 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If the replies are helpful to this question, please remember to mark them as answers. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Sunday, March 8, 2020 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Friday, March 27, 2020 10:52 AM