vista drivers RRS feed

• Question

• i have just installed the vista beta2 i have had no issues installing it but i have tryed installing my anti-virus [McAFEE 06] the o/s will not let me nor will will it let me install AVG!! i have also had no luck installing my sata drivers and i have also had no luck with my modem its a usb touch speed the o/s has installed the modem and software but will not let me connect my mother board is a asrock 939dual sata2 can any one advise me were i can get the relivant drivers?
    Tuesday, July 4, 2006 12:18 PM

All replies

• Hi...... you can't install your old mcafee as it isn't compatible.

McAfee are however doing a Vista beta version (8.5a), you'd have to register for it if you want to stick with McAfee.

Otherwise, there are several other Antivirus products you might want to consider, all running in Beta (or Vista compatible) for the time being.

Personally I'd recommend Avast... runs great on my system, free for 1 year too...

Wednesday, July 5, 2006 8:38 AM
  • hi and thanks for your reply but i have been down that path and did find a few programs that said they are conpatible avast i have go and lets me install dut continues to crash my dsk top then i restart and wont let me regain my desk top i then tryed installin the recommend anti virus software from microsoft securtiy center called trend micro and vista will not let me install this aswell,micro soft also say that avg 7.1 is conpatible but when you  try installing it vista wil not install this too,when my system crashs the can not do anything but reformat is there any help you can recomend?

ps vista lets me install all these drivers ext anti virus and runs fine its just when i restart that i get these problams i also can not get my vista to install my raid drivers!!

Friday, July 7, 2006 12:38 PM
  • Sorry my suggestion didn't work, I'm using the 64bit version of Vista. I did try the recommended Antivirus software from MS, although they installed none of them enabled realtime scanning, that's why I had a look around and found Avast.

Since I installed it, it's been working just fine.

Quick thought..... have you an antivirus option in your bios which might be causing the problem ??

I'm sorry but I've not yet gone down the Raid or SATA drive road, I thought I'd wait till the system got faster and cheaper as it has now with the SATA 2 specs....

I take it you've looked on the motherboard manufacturers website for up to date Raid drivers? I know a few people have had problems. All I can suggest is browse the forum for other Raid issues, maybe someone can help out.

Friday, July 7, 2006 12:53 PM
  • thanks for geting back to me the the erorr that you say you got the realtime thats the erorr with avast that am geting am runinng the 32bit ver but have just got the 64it new build and am going to try that tonigt a friend of mine has had vista running on dual monitors and useing a sata1 and ide harddrives and had non of theses problams but what ever he says to try faiks for me the sata drives themselfs are not the issue its the drives i have also tryd installing an nvivdia card and vista will not take them drivers the vista sysytem will be a great o/s i have no douts about that they just need to sort these driver conpat prblams out dnt you think? have you had any game install issues?

Friday, July 7, 2006 2:43 PM
  • I'm running a GeForce 6800GS, I did have a problem with the drivers that came with Vista, but there are Vista drivers on NVidia's website for the GeForce series.

Go to the site, drivers section and download the 88.61 Forceware for Vista, that should sort out any probs you might have with the Graphics.

I am having a problem with FS9, the game just quits and gives me no idea what the problem is. Tomb Raider Legends works fine and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is ok too, they're the only games I have installed on Vista
    Friday, July 7, 2006 10:12 PM
  • cheers for the helpin hand, ithe games i run are the new rise and fall this installs but when you restart the game asks for the some other part to be installed then crashes the game,i also run c&c first decade that all runs fine so dus dawn of war and doom3 runs but is jitery i have downloaded patches for the  games that crash but makes no difreance what a pain!! have you had any issues with modems? am useing a speed touch usb modem that i got from my isp_(tiscali) on the old beta2 build it would let me install the disc but wouldint let me connect from the software i had to connect direct throuh the modem itself and that works fine and the same for the new beta2 build the 64bit wnt reconise any of the modem drivers or software but the new build of the 32bit reconises the modem fine its all strange stuff m8

are you runing the new beta2 build 5456? or the old one?

Saturday, July 8, 2006 9:33 AM
  • I'm using a Motorola Surfboard 4100 (NTL), and I'm connected via an RJ45 (Network connection), I got sick and tired of all the problems that the USB connections caused due to the drivers. A friend had the same modem as you, but we replaced it with a DSL modem/router (Belkin) he bought privately which connected to the pc via RJ45, since then no more problems.

I think it's to be expected that the newer version recognise the modem as more hardware support is added each time a new release comes out. I checked the SpeedTouch website, but all they have to offer is the XP64bit driver.

I'm still running 5384, 5456 isn't an official public release yet, and I've been reading about a fair few bugs in it. It's supposed to be going public around August from what I've read, and the bugs should be ironed out by then. Until then I'll stick with 5384 and dual boot to XP for anything I might need that doesn't work in Vista.
    Saturday, July 8, 2006 9:51 AM
  • strange you should say that cos a m8 of mine has always used the rj45 and no problams. i have tryed to get differnt modems b4 even on xp but i always get problams with connecting i can neva get it to work my isp says its not them but i have tryed 4 differnt types wireless to and that makes no differnace either

i think am going to get a new router today and try it that way

whts ur location am newcastle uk?

Saturday, July 8, 2006 10:12 AM
  • Might be a good idea, if you've got a built in network card, just install the drivers, then the new router.

Should detect your internet connection and set up automatically......

I'm in huddersfield
    Sunday, July 9, 2006 12:10 AM
  • I think you can try Norton Symantec Antivirus, its a good antivirus and scans files best, it also has some utilities wich can help you on your system such as system scan, optimization and data recovery
    Tuesday, July 11, 2006 5:50 AM
  • I got EZ-Antivirus Beta for Vista Beta 2 from Computer Associates and it seems to work well.  Free for now.
    Wednesday, July 12, 2006 3:48 AM