ISSUE WITH SEACH SERVICE IN SHAREPOINT 2007(WSS3) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In my current SharePoint setup I have a 3-tier SharePoint 2007(WSS3) farm with 1 APP server and 2 WFE servers, with a load-balancer between the WFEs. Recently it was observed that the search service was no longer working on my farm and it was throwing the error "Try your search again or contact your administrator for more information".

So in order to solve this the whole SSP was deleted and a new one was created. After Full crawls were completed, search functionality were tested from all 3 servers and on the WFE it showed the error "Your search cannot be completed because of a service error. Try your search again or contact your administrator for more information", But from APP server it works fine.

We haven't changed any configurations from the setup we had earlier but this time search queries to the WFE arent working as expected, ataching screenshots of the same.

FROM APP SERVER

FROM WFE SERVER

• Edited by Anand Sarath Wednesday, November 29, 2017 7:43 AM
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 6:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Maybe if you add an entry to the server's IP vs the local hosts IP in the hosts.ini file on the wfe it might work.  Just a guess; since, it's been sometime since I've worked with 2007.  Another way to try and see if the resolution has something to do with it, would be to add an entry to the app server's hosts.ini so that the app server tries to look for info on the wfe, for sites that are crawled.

Stacy Simpkins | MCSE Productivity | MCSE SharePoint 2013 | anothersharepointblog.com

• Marked as answer by Anand Sarath Monday, March 12, 2018 5:49 AM
    Saturday, March 10, 2018 7:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Maybe if you add an entry to the server's IP vs the local hosts IP in the hosts.ini file on the wfe it might work.  Just a guess; since, it's been sometime since I've worked with 2007.  Another way to try and see if the resolution has something to do with it, would be to add an entry to the app server's hosts.ini so that the app server tries to look for info on the wfe, for sites that are crawled.

Stacy Simpkins | MCSE Productivity | MCSE SharePoint 2013 | anothersharepointblog.com

• Marked as answer by Anand Sarath Monday, March 12, 2018 5:49 AM
    Saturday, March 10, 2018 7:41 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your response to the post, however I had already solved this issue and found a workaround, like you had suggested the hosts.ini file on my WFE was getting modified somehow and I prevented that. Once that was done I had to re-build he search again and everything was back to normal again.

Monday, March 12, 2018 5:47 AM